Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2000 XJ problems after replacing driver airbag

Old 06-23-2013, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2000 XJ problems after replacing driver airbag

Okay, so I have a 2000 jeep cherokee that i got from a friend. It had rear ended someone a while so the front end is smashed up somewhat and the driverside airbag deployed. I just got the car last spring and I am in the process of fixing the car up. I ordered a new driver side airbag off of ebay to install. I just got it in today and put the new one in. Got the new airbag hooked up, hooked the battery back up and tried to start it, nothing. Had the car running earlier that day. at first all the gauges lit up and it would crank just wouldnt turn over. Hooked the battery up to the charger for a couple hours or so. Still nothing and now the gauges and lights in the car wont turn on. Put a newer battery on all together and same thing, no lights or anything will turn on and the car wont even start to crank. So I hooked the battery charger up to it and put it on start mood, everything lights up, car cranks again, but still not turning over. Right when i unhook the charger, nothing will light up and car wont turn over. Not sure where to go from here. All this seemed to happen right when I put a new driver side air bag in. Anyone have an idea of whats going on?
Old 06-24-2013, 02:05 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Works with the charger on but not without- are you sure either of the batteries are good?
Cables and connectors clean and tight?
Wouldn't hurt to disconnect the airbag and see if anything changes. Wierd stuff comes from Ebay sometimes.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:34 AM

Yea took a battery off our other car and no luck with that one. Also disconnected the airbag again with new battery but no luck. Is it possible when I put the replacement airbag on it might have fried some wires somewhere in the car? I just don't understand how nothing happens with a good battery and only gets a response when the charger is hooked up, but still won't turn over
Old 06-24-2013, 10:23 AM

Got it figured out. Before I replaced the airbag I was just checking everything making sure it all worked. I pushed in the cig lighter and got distracted and never realized that it didn't pop back out. After hours of looking everything over and diagnosing i go in the car to start it up, sure enough with perfect timing the lighter pops out. No effing way, pull it out turn the key and it starts right up. It was shorting right there when it wouldn't pop and not giving me enough juice. Man am I relieved