Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Another No Start Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Another No Start Thread

I have searched and read a lot of the previous threads on CF and other sites. I have gone through the list of what to check, but kind of at a loss.

So back story, my 96 4.0 cherokee was throwing code 11 (camshaft or crankshaft sensor) for a couple of months, though I was still able to drive with zero issues, but I finally got around to changing it so I could get my vehicle inspected. I replaced the crankshaft position sensor with a Duralast and started right up. I drove it 92 miles between the morning I replaced it and the following moring then it just died on me. Being this was the only thing that was changed I assumed that maybe I got a bad sensor.

Since the previous sensor worked I assumed I could swap it back in and just go get another. This did not work. I then went and got another Duralast crankshaft position sensor and it did not work either. I tested them all with a multimeter and got Over Limit as if all tested good. Now that the crankshaft had a new sensor, I assumed that it would be the camshaft. I picked up a new camshaft sensor/pickup coil which is BWD. Still didn't start. Now being limited issues left, I checked if I had spark and I didn't. I went and replaced the cap and rotor along with the coil. Still no start.

Everything checks out and has power. Swapped ASD relay, checked all mini fuses in the PDC that power it, all good. Grounds are clean. Have unhooked and rehooked up sensors in case bad connection. Have reset the ECU. Battery terminals fresh from wire brush. Battery has enough power. Now I am getting code 54 for Camshaft Sensor.

I have read a couple threads that they got this after replacing the pickup coil and they just got a bad one. Is that worth a shot? My gut tells me it is all related to the crankshaft position sensor, but there isn't a Mopar one available around me. I have one on order and at best it Might be here Friday/Saturday, but really need a vehicle before them. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:19 AM

I tried another camshaft position sensor and didn't start. Then I tried another crankshaft position sensor and still nothing. Now the only code it has is 12.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Instead of just swapping the ASD relay, you should now begin to diagnose from there and figure out if the ASD relay is seeing everything it should. The relay has a control side and a load side. On the control side (the side that controls whether it opens/closes) the positive is provided by the ignition switch. The ground is provided by the PCM. On the load side (the side that actually provides the power to the components downstream from the relay) should be battery voltage (around 12.5v) coming from the PDC (fuse box under hood). The idea is to test these items to see if any of them are missing. If the PCM is not happy and not initiating ignition you would expect to see everything there except the ground on the control side. But if everything is there it would lead you downstream from the ASD relay towards the coil.

Also, each of those sensors is fed by a 5v + feed. Have you confirmed that their connectors are seeing that voltage at least? If not, there is probably a general wiring issue that is messing with the 5v reference circuit. This would result in a no-spark no-start condition and usually a cam/crank sensor code of some sort (but not always) which seems consistent with what you are observing.
Old 06-30-2018, 04:44 PM

Well I diagnosed and couldn't get anywhere. I just received a call from Firestone that the distributor is broken and their is a broken camshaft. Look like she is toast.