Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Another Lift ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 12:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Wagoneer
Default Another Lift ?

97 Cherokee 4.0
If I install say an RE 3.5" lift http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Suspen...px?part=RE6020
and then deside later I would like another 1"-1.5"
Can I install just front Coil spacers and rear Shackles or is there more I would need.
This is my DD
Old 07-12-2009, 12:28 AM

Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 H/O I6

yes, you could definately do that.. BUT, you will more than likely need an SYE and cv driveshaft, or a front driveshaft...
Old 07-12-2009, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by 93XJRay
yes, you could definately do that.. BUT, you will more than likely need an SYE and cv driveshaft, or a front driveshaft...
So if I just install the 3.5" Lift Kit, I should not need anything else ?
Old 07-12-2009, 01:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998, 1999
Engine: 4.0

I think after viewing your Cherokee you should just leave it alone. It is a very street oriented Cherokee the way it is set up with the mud flaps and all. With all due respect... What doesn't it do that you need a 3.5" AAL lift?
Much has been written on this site about people having bad experiences with AAL lifts. The rear AAL tends to sag before you know it!
The general consensus is with a 3.5" sometimes you can get away with a TC drop, sometimes you need the SYE setup... You never know until you raise it up and see.
Mike
Old 07-12-2009, 01:39 AM

if you do the 3.5" lift, you more than likely WONT need anything else. every jeep handles different amounts of lift differently. some people have 6" of lift and dont have any problems, while some do 3" and have bad driveline vibes. mostly the older xj's handle lifts better. if you put 3.5 on you might not have any problems at all, but at the same time you could end up having some driveline vibes and whatnot.. it all depends honestly. i have 3" and 31s and my jeep handles it very well, but its a 93. i have heard of some later models (96+) needing sye or at least t case drops after just 3". my vote: go for it and see how it handles it
Old 07-12-2009, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by Mike1998XJ
I think after viewing your Cherokee you should just leave it alone. It is a very street oriented Cherokee the way it is set up with the mud flaps and all. With all due respect... What doesn't it do that you need a 3.5" AAL lift?
Much has been written on this site about people having bad experiences with AAL lifts. The rear AAL tends to sag before you know it!
The general consensus is with a 3.5" sometimes you can get away with a TC drop, sometimes you need the SYE setup... You never know until you raise it up and see.
Mike
Well: I just got it the other day.
It sets to low, I practicaly step down getting in and step up to get out.
I have not even 4-Wheeled it yet, I tried to climb a small Knoll but drug the rear bumper and almost drug the front bumper ( See Pic )
This is my DD, Hunting, Camping Rig.
I will also be adding some 31X10.50's

Old 07-12-2009, 01:59 AM

yeah, i mean if youre going out into the woods (camping, fishing,etc etc) you dont need 6" of lift and 35s you know? if youre looking to make sure that you dont get stuck out there when youre hauling back the 12 point buck you just shot through a muddy, back country trail then by all means throw a 3.5" and 31s on it. and i can almost guarantee youll be happy with the performance and the look. see, the thing is the people on here all have these big lifted jeeps because they NEED them in order to do the things they do. you know some rock crawl, so they have big lift, tires, gears and rock rails. others go deep mudding, so they have 7" lift with 36" tires. the thing is you dont want to spend money on something for your jeep (lift kit, tires) unless you need it. and thats what alot of guys on here will tell you.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:13 AM

Thanks for the input Ray:
I'm trying to save money, so I'm considering getting the front springs and making putting together my own rear spring pack.
Any real reason I would need the Lower control arms just going to 3.5" ?
Old 07-12-2009, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by Hylander
Thanks for the input Ray:
I'm trying to save money, so I'm considering getting the front springs and making putting together my own rear spring pack.
Any real reason I would need the Lower control arms just going to 3.5" ?
no problem man. do you mean like the tube arms that come with the RE kit? i dont think you would need them but i would probably suggest it if youre getting the 31s. my 31s rub on my stock LCAs thats why... good luck with everything and if youre going to lift it and everything you should start a build thread and post plenty of pics. also if you need any help with anything theres always guys on here that will offer plenty of advice and help you troubleshoot any problems you might run into.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:33 AM

OK, so now we know what you need the lift for... I my mind the next step would be to ask yourself "what can I afford to spend"? And, "how much time, do I want to tie the Jeep up doing mods"? If it's your daily driver can you afford the downtime by assembling bastard packs for the rear suspension? Or, is it wiser to buy all the components in the kit so all the engineering has been done and it's a direct bolt in? Ask yourself what kind of skills and tools you have. There are many people on this site that run into breaking the rear upper shock mount bolts off or one of the Rear Leafspring bolts. Be prepared for this because if it happens you can plan on many extra hours to repair these. And more cost as well!
What if you get the driveline vibration? What if a $20 dollar transfer case drop does not cure it? Are you prepared to go spend the $190 bucks on a PORC SYE? More downtime if this is your dailey driver!
I'm not trying to be difficult, I'm just trying to raise these questions before you begin...
Different places have different prices on lifts. I just ordered mine from a guy on this site called EndlessMtnFab and saved a considerable amount off the list price. It came with rear leaf packs because I don't want to dink around with anything else.
Mike
Old 07-12-2009, 10:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996

If you are looking for a good lift that has everything you needexcept brakelines might want to look at the RC lift i have 3" series 2 i use my jeep the way you want to along with some mild trail evry now and again and it works great but be prepared as b4 to run into problems when doing this make sure to spray the bolts up for a week prior to removing anyt of them beleive me this will help alot
Old 07-12-2009, 11:27 AM

thanks for the input guys
I can afford the down time and have the skills to do this and the tools.
Just a low Budget
Old 07-12-2009, 12:16 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

One thing to also keep in mind..If you install the 3.5 kit and then add another 1" or so you will have to replace the shocks or added extensions to the existing ones. I know the shocks used for the RE 3.5 and 4.5 kits up front are the same but the rear I know are different lengths.

I run the RE 3.5 with 31's and have yet to find anywhere I can not go. I had 30's for a while and never had an issue. I love the RE kit.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:28 PM

What is your budget? If you don't mind me asking... We can steer you towards the best places to buy the components you need.
Mike
Old 07-12-2009, 06:20 PM

Mike has a good point above. if youre mechanically inclined and have tools, then your budget might work to your advantage. i didnt know much about this stuff when i came on here and i ended up getting a cheap kit (3" spacers and 3" AAl for the rear) im kinda regretting it now but i have always been mechanically inclined. now im making my own s10 bastard pack, picked up some V8 ZJ coils and using shackles and small spacers to get the lift and ride i want...all on a budget. i didnt know about all that stuff before i came on here, so this site brought me knowledge and the guys on here were more than willing to make suggestions and lead me in the right direction. which is what were trying to help you do. im sure we can help you out in making the best decision without putting a hole in your pocket..

Quick Reply: Another Lift ?