Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Another leaf spring bolt thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Another leaf spring bolt thread

I'm pretty sure I've broken the tac weld free on the nut inside the leaf spring mounting bracket since the bolt turns but doesn't come out. I don't have access to a welder so I've come up with 2 plans of action. The first is to cut a slot in the bottom of the bracket a la...

Or I can use a hole saw to cut an access hole through the floor under the carpet and get a grommet plug to put in the hole when I'm done. Which do u think would work best? Would cutting a slot in the bracket weaken it at all?
Thanks for replies
Old 07-25-2011, 10:17 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L

well because I'm at work and can't see the picture(damn IT blocks photobucket), I'm going to go off what I got from your description...

I would go through a hole in the floor. Stick a wrench in there to hold the nut and then back the bolt out. I had the same issue with my shackles.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 H.O. K&N, Borla headers, custom down pipe, magnaflow hi-flo cat, flowmaster to turn down tip

i would cut the bolt off with a sawzall, close to the nut as possible. then you can pull the bolt out. if the nut falls down then it is broken, if not then the threads are striped.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:28 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0l

I had that happen also. I got a chisle behind the bolt head and kept constant pressure on while I spun the bolt out. But I also do not think it was completly broken, it was siezed all to heck. Just my 2c
Old 07-25-2011, 11:07 AM

The bolt isn't broken it just turns freely but won't some out so I'm sure the nut is still stuck on the sneaks is turning with the bolt so I'm pretty sure the spot weld broke. The nut is welded to the inside of the bracket not the unibody isn't it?
Old 07-25-2011, 02:14 PM

Year: 93
Engine: 4.0 il6cyl

i just changed my leafs bout a month ago and had the same problem. i used a die grinder to cut a small hole in the floor. i wouldnt use a hole saw. and do not cut the frame rails
Old 07-25-2011, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by ryan10584
i just changed my leafs bout a month ago and had the same problem. i used a die grinder to cut a small hole in the floor. i wouldnt use a hole saw. and do not cut the frame rails
Is the nut inside the frame rail or just inside the bracket attached to the frame rail?
Old 07-25-2011, 06:59 PM

Year: 1999 Sport
Engine: I6

Im having the same problem and Ill be attacking it tomorrow.....hopefully. Im thinking that cutting the hole in the bracket itself like your photo is the best and easiest way to go.

Ive got my bolt out about 3/8ths or so, and then it froze to the sleeve....at least. I worked it for nearly 6 hours until the sleeve broke free of the bushing, and the bolt is still stuck in the sleeve. I dont think 3/8's can be out enough to be free of the nut, but we'll see.

I cant imagine its easier to attack it from the cab, unless your back seat is already out, along with the carpet, and your floor is junk. Its going to be a lot of work getting to it from above, and a lot of work fixing it.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:34 PM

I'd like to cut through the bracket too just want to make sure that a) the nut is actualy in the bracket and not in the frame rail. & b) I'm not going to have my leaf springs rip through on the trail.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:55 PM

In the dealer catalog, it doesnt show it FOR SURE on the other side of the spring bracket, but by looking at it and the way other things are shown, Im 99% sure its in between the bracket and the frame. There would be absolutely no way to access it if it were in the frame, so Im betting on it being in between the two.

Funny thing is, as many people who have posted in these topics, I have yet to read a for sure poster who has photos of that bracket taken apart and a nut welded in there. There are lot of people who talk about it being in there, but none who say theres broke free of the welds and THIS is how I fixed it. Now, Im not implying its otherwise, or that people are full of crap and just regurgitating what theyve read, but I LOVE to see a post with photos or someone actually saying, "Yes, mine snapped, this is how I fixed it for sure."

Where did you find that photo?
Old 07-25-2011, 10:00 PM

Year: 93
Engine: 4.0 il6cyl

Originally Posted by TSnedSi
Is the nut inside the frame rail or just inside the bracket attached to the frame rail?
the nut is inside the bracket and it is welded. prob will break lose tho. i cut small hole in floor where the seat base meets the floor. then the nut will be accessible. most likely your bolt will be froze up in the leaf bushing. i had to cut the bolt on each side of the bushing to get everything out. that would be your best route i think. my .02. try not to cut frame rails tho. make small cut then pry floor back
Old 07-26-2011, 09:25 AM

Thanks bigvig that's exactly what I was talking about. I'm going to start cutting into the bracket today. If I can get some good pics I'll post em so someone can find em. It would also be nice if someone who's gone down through the floor to post pics of where they cut and how much they cut to get to that nut. I couldn't find any pics of that either but a lot of posts of people asking for pics. Pics are nice to have, I found the ones I posted from another thread. Here's a link. https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/sna...-remove-18938/
Old 07-26-2011, 10:44 AM

Great link!!!!! Awesome info in there, thanks. Im not able to work on mine today (at least yet) due to pouring rain. I also ordered an angle grinder, so hopefully that'll make it easier if I cant get it with what Ive got around here.

Ill DEFINITELY post a step by step when I get this going. Seems like this is a question OFTEN asked, and with as many guys doing lifts and what not, Im surprised there isnt more good, solid info on this out there, like a how-to.

Good luck with yours, post a report when you get done.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:30 AM

I got into the bracket yesterday and can see the nut. Fortunately or unfortunately it's not turning with the bolt. I'm guessing it's still welded but the bushing sleeve is stopping the bolt from coming out. I guess I've got more cutting to do.

Last edited by TSnedSi; 07-27-2011 at 12:20 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:43 AM

Same situation. My buddy is coming over with his plasma cutter today and we're going to see what we can do. Worst comes to worse, you can cut the leaf away from the bushing, cut the bushing away from the sleeve and cut the sleeve from the bolt and then remove the bolt. My bolt is definitely froze in the sleeve, but Im not sure if its clear of the nut, broken the nut or stripped the nut. Hopefully Ill know by the days end. It poured here all day yesterday, and looks like its going to open up any time again today.

Quick Reply: Another leaf spring bolt thread