Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Another cracked exhaust manifold question.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 10:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0H.O. I6
Default Another cracked exhaust manifold question.

Yep, I have a cracked manifold on my XJ....who is suprised?

I have already priced everything I think I want to replace the entire exhaust system I just want to make sure everything will work.

The items I have picked are the Pace Setter header with the dual exits, it comes with the down pipe which combines the duals into one that goes to the cat.

Next is the Magnaflow direct fit cat which says it will work

And last is the Dynomax cat back system

So is the pace setter good to go? Is a good header to chose? Will the direct fit cat actually fit or no since I would be using the pace setter down pipe?

Do I have to get something with flex pipes? Some people insist that I have to have them otherwise they will just crack again, I have no issue getting a manifold with flex pipes on them but is this really needed with an aftermarket header?

One last thing, is it going to hurt my Jeep to drive it with a cracked exhaust manifold. I have no idea how long it's been cracked and it seems to run down the road just fine it is just a little loud, the rest of the exhaust is pretty worn so the exhaust noise isn't just coming from the manifold. Any advice is appreciated.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 99 94
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: I6

Originally Posted by 92muddycherokee
Yep, I have a cracked manifold on my XJ....who is suprised?

I have already priced everything I think I want to replace the entire exhaust system I just want to make sure everything will work.

The items I have picked are the Pace Setter header with the dual exits, it comes with the down pipe which combines the duals into one that goes to the cat.

Next is the Magnaflow direct fit cat which says it will work

And last is the Dynomax cat back system

So is the pace setter good to go? Is a good header to chose? Will the direct fit cat actually fit or no since I would be using the pace setter down pipe?

Do I have to get something with flex pipes? Some people insist that I have to have them otherwise they will just crack again, I have no issue getting a manifold with flex pipes on them but is this really needed with an aftermarket header?

One last thing, is it going to hurt my Jeep to drive it with a cracked exhaust manifold. I have no idea how long it's been cracked and it seems to run down the road just fine it is just a little loud, the rest of the exhaust is pretty worn so the exhaust noise isn't just coming from the manifold. Any advice is appreciated.

Make sure that the openings at the end of the down pipe to the cat and the cat are the same size. Stock xjs have a 2.5 inch in to 2.25 inch out for the stock cat. The direct fit magnaflow cats will be 2.5 in and 2.25 out.

Might as well free up the exhaust by bumping everything up to 2.5. Here is the cat I am going to get when I get my exhaust funds together. http://www.shop4exhaust.com/p-962-ma...ung-94436.aspx

I could not find a dynamax 2.5 in. cat back system for the cherokee.

Heres a couple of other options for cat-back: http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-pe...?jeep_type=699

Driving around with a slightly cracked manifold will not hurt these jeeps. Every one I have seen has the crack on the same collector towards the block. It can lead to problems if it gets big enough (o2 readings thrown off, gas mileage, sounds like crap...etc)

Good luck.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0H.O. I6

Thanks for the links. Yeah she sounds like crap, and the CEL is on, the whole exhaust is just done so it's time. I have the money now so I will be ordering soon.