Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Another 0331 Question, Please Help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L I6
Exclamation Another 0331 Question, Please Help.

Hey Everyone,

So I have been searching and reading everything I can on this subject but can't find anything specific to my symptoms. I just replaced my radiator, water pump, thermostat & housing, fan clutch, hoses and added a Hayden Transmission cooler (bypassed stock transmission cooler completely). I thought I had transmission oil in my coolant because it looked redish, this is why I replaced all of these parts. I did a complete flush with distilled water multiple times until it ran clear. Now, a couple hundred miles later my coolant is no longer green but almost black. I looked inside the oil filler cap and can't see any cracks or coolant or milky foam. It is not a Tuppy head but I'm not sure if the head is cracked. Are there any other possible causes for this "oil in coolant problem"? This is my daily driver I have no other options besides spending $100 a day on uber. I am willing to do the head replacement but I need to drive this thing about 40 miles a day until i can get all the parts/money together.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

When you say that you flushed the cooling system, did you just dump and replace with water until clear? Or did you run an actual bottle of flush through the system first? If you didnt actually flush it, the dirty water would make sense.

I would go rent the little tester that you stick in the radiator. It will tell you if you have a cracked head or blown head gasket.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:32 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

You can test the coolant system for exhaust gasses, http://www.blocktester.com/
The engine block coolant passages often have crud built up in them. A distilled water flush will not effectively clear them.
Also, in a Pennsylvania climate eliminating the stock heat exchanger for transmission can prevent transmission from getting to optimum operating temperature.

Last edited by SteveMongr; 01-24-2018 at 06:36 AM.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by 5-Speed
When you say that you flushed the cooling system, did you just dump and replace with water until clear? Or did you run an actual bottle of flush through the system first? If you didnt actually flush it, the dirty water would make sense.

I would go rent the little tester that you stick in the radiator. It will tell you if you have a cracked head or blown head gasket.
I put a bottle of flush through the system 2 days before I replaced the parts and also another bottle after installing the new parts. I will go get one of those tester on my next day off.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by SteveMongr
You can test the coolant system for exhaust gasses, http://www.blocktester.com/
The engine block coolant passages often have crud built up in them. A distilled water flush will not effectively clear them.
Also, in a Pennsylvania climate eliminating the stock heat exchanger for transmission can prevent transmission from getting to optimum operating temperature.
Thanks for the link! If a distilled water flush won’t clear them what will? Also, like I said this is my daily driver and I only had a day to work on it. I plan on in the near future adding a tempature gauge and some way to allow the stock heater exchanger and transmission cooler to work together. Honestly didn’t know which parts I should use to get that part of the job done so I just skipped it for now. Any help with that would be appreciated too.