Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Almost doesn't count...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 03:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L
Default Almost doesn't count...

My A/C doesn't work due to a leaky Evaporator. The A/C Pump, Condenser and Lines are less than 3 years old. Leak tests reveal nothing and yet, within ~36 hours of charging the system, there'll be nothing left in it. Did it twice, so I'm convinced it's a slow-leaking Evaporator because it's the only place I can't look. I'm not one for doing the dash twice so I got a new Heater Core at the same time as the Evaporator.

I almost went to work on my graveyard shift job at 2:30PM on the hottest day of the summer so-far. My travel route runs right through the heart downtown Boston (trust me when I tell you how much THAT sucks at this time of day). I called the boss for workload status (changes daily) and it was nil for tonight so he gave me the night off. I'll most likely have to report-in at noon tomorrow. I'm still bleary-headed from working 16 hours last night and sleeping on-and-off until noon-ish (bad news for me).

There's a new A/C Evaporator and a new Heater Core on the shelf in my garage. They've been on the shelf since end of May. I figured that it's time to do it and just work into the wee hours if needed. Stepped into the garage, took one look at all the cluttered crap surrounding my XJ and realized I needed to make space (harumph) if I'm going to be crawling in/out/around the Jeep. The phone rang just as I was devising my plan of attack, it was one of my buddies inviting me to icey-cold pondside beers with the usual suspects, in the shade, with another old buddy visiting from NC (haven't seen him in 2 1/2 years).

Oh well, another shoulda-coulda-woulda. Almost doesn't count...