Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

All speakers not working

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Question All speakers not working

My front speakers werent working since ive gotten it, and now the rear speakers stopped working. At first, they would only stop for a few minutes, but turn on and off after a while and it began to turn off increasingly longer, until finally it just stopped working. I just opened up the door jam on the drivers side and all the wires looked well connected. the speaker one was a coming undone a TINY bit(the casing was cracked, thats all), but still had a good connection, i cut and re-soldered it anyway. ALSO my stereo seems to have no issues what-so-ever, runs perfectly fine (insofar as i can tell)

I would like to say its the speakers themselves, but that wouldnt explain why the two rear speakers would stop working at the same time. I cant speak of why the two front speakers dont work, but i can only assume that its probably all caused by the same issue/area.

If it is the wiring, wouldnt it be in the front chassis, where everything is somewhat together? I suppose it wouldnt hurt to say that the windows arnt able to be worked from any other part of the jeep apart from the drivers side(not a big issue seeing as im a bit of a hermit and dont have many people in my jeep apart from one or two girls at a time.) and i dont have AC or heating at all.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:21 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

Sounds like the wiring is bad somewhere. The stereo in my 88 would flicker when I would switch gears and speakers would sometimes go out for a few seconds then come back on. I ran new wires all around and re spliced and connected every single wire that looked bad in the engine bay and it fixed the problem. I'm not good at all with electrical so I couldn't say what exactly will fix your problem but I do recommend you fix any iffy looking wires that's what worked for me.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:49 PM

What i DONT want to do, is take apart the entire inside and replace all the wires, it seems like there might be one spot in particular; perhaps under the hood. I cant be certain, but did you find anything out of the ordinary when replacing all of your wiring? Honestly its just not worth it to me to take the time to replace them all, it has 276k miles on it. (still looks and runs great though)
Old 05-25-2015, 09:03 PM

Year: 1991

Some of the connectors were rusted out or the wires were brittle. Some were just shot so I replaced them. Wires dry up over time. Im not saying you should re do all your wiring but just give them some tlc. Best thing to do though is take stuff apart and follow the wires look at where they lead and go from there.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:25 PM

do you know where the wires lead from the engine compartment to the drivers side and apssengers side, im trying to find em so i can figure out which ones are looking a bit shiesty.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995

Originally Posted by JeepUser619
do you know where the wires lead from the engine compartment to the drivers side and apssengers side, im trying to find em so i can figure out which ones are looking a bit shiesty.
Speaker wires run from the front two doors to the dash area and terminate at the back of the radio. If you have a rear sound bar they run from the bar, down the driver side and turn back to the dash ending up at the radio. Quick test would be to pull the radio, use a spare speaker or run a jumper to an existing one and see if it works.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:34 AM

Thats something I wouldnt mind doing. Errr before i go ripping things apart, should i disconnect the battery first?
Old 05-26-2015, 11:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995

Originally Posted by JeepUser619
Thats something I wouldnt mind doing. Errr before i go ripping things apart, should i disconnect the battery first?
Not a bad idea, but I usually don't if I'm just pulling the stereo. You would have to hook it right back up to test it. I suspect you may find sketchy wire connections. I just pulled one out of new project that was using electrical tape...

Last edited by Cheddarnut; 05-26-2015 at 11:47 AM.