Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

all needed for 4.5"lift

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default all needed for 4.5"lift

I have a 97cherokee and about to do a 4.5" rough country lift kit and besides the trac bar. Cv joint and possibly longer drive shaft. What else do I need to get to make a complete offroad ready rig. This is not my daily driver I use it for offroading on weekends but I do drive it to the trails. I just want to get all parts and extras at once can anyone help still new to four wheeling
Old 10-06-2010, 03:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 HO I6

Extended brake lines, front and rear. And you really need some longer lower control arms. Well and shocks, of course.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

a slip yoke eliminator. and you will need the longer drive shaft. did you mean the sye when you said cv joint?
Old 10-06-2010, 03:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by built for fun
I have a 97cherokee and about to do a 4.5" rough country lift kit and besides the trac bar. Cv joint and possibly longer drive shaft. What else do I need to get to make a complete offroad ready rig. This is not my daily driver I use it for offroading on weekends but I do drive it to the trails. I just want to get all parts and extras at once can anyone help still new to four wheeling
Well even though you listed some things I'm going to give you the full run down of what you need or may want. Shocks for that lift which it should come with, Front brake lines, Adjustable Track Bar, Adjustable Lower Arms and if you want adjustable uppers, but not needed. Drop pitman arm to keep steering geometry as close to stock a 1" drop can be achieved by getting a pitman arm off of a ZJ with a V8. You many want to extend your bumpstops as well. The stock sway bar links won't be long enough and if you drive it to the trails then you'll want a good set of sway bar disconnects. As for the rear you don't need a cv shaft for a 4.5 lift. A transfer case drop is a cheaper way to go and eliminates the vibrations. If you're looking to go big then go for a sye with a new cv shaft. The kits hould come either with spings or add a leaf and shackles. The full leaf pack is going to be your better option. If you don't get the sye kit and cv shaft you want to make sure you keep a good pinion angle so you can use some degree shims on the leaf packs. About 2 degrees should be fine and cause no problems. Most times they can actually add about 1/2'' of lift.

I think that about covers everything. If anyone else wants to add to this be my guest.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

seen this?
http://jeepforum.com/forum/f11/alrig...5/#post5577998
I would have done this but we did not get these cars in Australia
Old 10-06-2010, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm rockn a 4.5...all my friends are also...if not driving on the road a lot...springs shocks rear leafs is all you "really" need...some fender trimming get rid of ur sway bars...weld the rear diff...and let her eat!...we rolled that way forever...just realize ur front brake lines will struggle to hang on at full articulation if u don't remount the stockers lower...nobody I know with a "mainly" trail rig with a 4.5" has a sye...or a t case drop or control arms....and none of them have ever f'd the t case...droped a driveshaft of snapped brake lines...just know ur limmits...setup like I mentioned will go through some crazy $hit...trust me I know