Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Alignment

Okay so I got the cure by RuffStuff in today and decided I would replace the tie rod since I had to remove it anyways. It just occurred to me that I may need to do and alignment since I replaced that tie rod. Steering wheel is not centered anymore however I don't notice a pull so I'm debating spending $50 or just centering the wheel and calling it good. Do you need an alignment after replacing the tie rod that connects to the drag link. Ps kudos to RuffStuff the cure, well, cured that infamous Jeep deadspot.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Because of the nature of the tie-rod and the drag-link, the short answer is yes. Because it is really easy to bump the toe-in/out out of its original setting when getting the tie-rod in/out.

However, after I rebuilt my front end, I did an at home alignment by measuring the toe-in myself between the wheels (using a tape measure etc. - you can find instructions for the XJ on youtube). Then the next day I took it to my normal shop and had it aligned (didn't trust myself - had never done it before). The computerized printout showed that I had the alignment correct to within just a few hundredths of a percent. So it was a total rip-off considering that on an XJ they literally only adjust one thing as far as the alignment is concerned (the tie rod - to adjust toe in/out). The steering angle (steering wheel position) is easily adjusted at home and does not require an alignment.

So whether you pay a shop or do it yourself, you should check that the toe-in is where it should be. If you care about your tires and how well your vehicle tracks on the road.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:19 PM
IJM
CF Veteran

Received 274 Likes on 205 Posts

You've at least got to check to be sure your toe isn't all out of whack. First thing I'd do is compare the length of the old one to the new one. If the new one is longer, you're going to have issues with toe out. If it's shorter, you'll have too much toe in. Adjust the ends as necessary.

Edit: I'll second what Jordan said above.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:50 PM

You guys are correct! I drove it on the e-way to pick up a buddy and it's pretty flighty at 70 mph so I won't be driving it until I get the alignment done. @jordan96xj I've never had good luck with the diy method, don't get me wrong it's better than nothing but I've never managed to get the toe exact using the ol' tape measure.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:41 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by kbeam418
You guys are correct! I drove it on the e-way to pick up a buddy and it's pretty flighty at 70 mph so I won't be driving it until I get the alignment done. @jordan96xj I've never had good luck with the diy method, don't get me wrong it's better than nothing but I've never managed to get the toe exact using the ol' tape measure.
I've only ever done it that one time. It was shockingly close to being spot-on. Maybe I was just lucky, but I basically went off the youtube advice of setting it up for 1/8 inch of toe-in. If I ever get the chance to do it again, perhaps I'll follow up with another computer alignment to see if it was just luck or not.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Year: 1991 2-Door
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 liter

Originally Posted by jordan96xj
Because of the nature of the tie-rod and the drag-link, the short answer is yes. Because it is really easy to bump the toe-in/out out of its original setting when getting the tie-rod in/out.

However, after I rebuilt my front end, I did an at home alignment by measuring the toe-in myself between the wheels (using a tape measure etc. - you can find instructions for the XJ on youtube). Then the next day I took it to my normal shop and had it aligned (didn't trust myself - had never done it before). The computerized printout showed that I had the alignment correct to within just a few hundredths of a percent. So it was a total rip-off considering that on an XJ they literally only adjust one thing as far as the alignment is concerned (the tie rod - to adjust toe in/out). The steering angle (steering wheel position) is easily adjusted at home and does not require an alignment.

So whether you pay a shop or do it yourself, you should check that the toe-in is where it should be. If you care about your tires and how well your vehicle tracks on the road.
I kind of disagree with the need to have an alignment shop get your rig set-up correctly. Yes if you don't have a adjustable track-bar and adjustable control arms you can only dial in your toe in or out. But the higher you lift your rig the more things get out wack. (Like caster and front axle centering). I feel a reputable shop that specializes in 4x4 rigs can do a great job of dialing in you steering. As soon as I get my drop brackest and adjustable control arms installed I'm headed to a shop that several people swear by and have them dial it in. Yes it normally cost about $150-$200 but from what others have said after they had the shop do the job, there rigs never drove that true before.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:46 AM

I've only ever done it that one time. It was shockingly close to being spot-on. Maybe I was just lucky, but I basically went off the youtube advice of setting it up for 1/8 inch of toe-in. If I ever get the chance to do it again, perhaps I'll follow up with another computer alignment to see if it was just luck or not.
Like I said that was just my experience there's plenty of guys on this forum that diy the alignment and it works for them. Part of my problem is I park on the street so it's difficult to get my wheels dead center because of road crown plus I'm very picky about my alignment.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:27 AM
CF Veteran

I don't have an opinion on whether someone uses a shop or not. But I think most XJ owners probably -overestimate- how much is being done for the money they fork over to the shop for an alignment.

Having a 4x4 experienced shop work on alignment when you have a lifted, custom suspension with many additional adjustment opportunities. I totally get that, and would probably do the same.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Year: 1991 2-Door
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 liter

Originally Posted by kbeam418
Like I said that was just my experience there's plenty of guys on this forum that diy the alignment and it works for them. Part of my problem is I park on the street so it's difficult to get my wheels dead center because of road crown plus I'm very picky about my alignment.
As of right now I have done extensive work on my Xj (Curry one ton steering new bds springs Quit a few other things) and have been running my rig on my tape measure self alignment with no issues at all, even got new Bfg's last winter have quite a few miles on them and they seem to be wearing pretty good. It's just that with all the work going into it in the next few months I would really like to make sure things get squared away.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:17 AM

I don't have an opinion on whether someone uses a shop or not. But I think most XJ owners probably -overestimate- how much is being done for the money they fork over to the shop for an alignment.

Having a 4x4 experienced shop work on alignment when you have a lifted, custom suspension with many additional adjustment opportunities. I totally get that, and would probably do the same.
I wouldn't pay more than $50 for the alignment on a Jeep since you're just adjusting toe and the steering wheel. Lifted Jeeps are a totally different beast because now you've got caster and potentially camber that will need adjusted.