Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Alarm problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 10:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996 Limited
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2
Default Alarm problems

Hey guys I was hoping someone has a fix to my problem. I have a 91 larado 4.0 and it has a factory alarm. I dont have any remotes for it or anything just a key but when ever it feels like it i will unlock my drivers door to get it and it will go off and I have to go to the back and turn my key in the back door to stop it. It doesnt happen everytime just whenever it feels like it. So does anyone know about it or how to just like bypass the alarm or anything. Thanks
Old 08-26-2009, 03:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 94 XJ
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

The switch inside the door is faulty.
I have yet to find a viable replacement.

They are clipped to the back of the lock cylinders.

Two ways around this:

1. Deal with it. (What we are doing)
2. Do not lock the doors using the PDL switch. This is what activates the alarm (Manually lock the doors---no alarm)
Old 08-26-2009, 11:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: l6 4.0, K&N FIPK & 62mm bored TB

Originally Posted by 91familyxj
Hey guys I was hoping someone has a fix to my problem. I have a 91 larado 4.0 and it has a factory alarm. I dont have any remotes for it or anything just a key but when ever it feels like it i will unlock my drivers door to get it and it will go off and I have to go to the back and turn my key in the back door to stop it. It doesnt happen everytime just whenever it feels like it. So does anyone know about it or how to just like bypass the alarm or anything. Thanks
Since yours is a '91, it likely has the infra-red alarm with the little dome receiver in the overhead console. It uses a one-button remote to disarm/arm. You can get the remote here, but in order to get it programmed you'll have to open the overhead console to get the remote code, then go to the dealership for programming.

That's the route I went with my '92 some years ago, but the seller paid for the programming. It can get pricey. Good luck.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:26 PM
CF Veteran

So much for an easy fix huh. lol I was just hoping i could just jumper some wires or pull a fuse. O well thanks guys
Old 08-26-2009, 02:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 94 XJ
Engine: 4.0L

Don't give up hope...yet.

I am assuming you do not "like" or "want" the factory alarm.
Since the factory alarm has an ignition interlock (if alarm is not shut down properly, Jeep wont start) it is not a simple fuse pulling.

There is a way to jumper the system.
I believe there is a write-up over on NAXJA about it. Several guys have claimed to have success.
BUT there is differing info about which wires to jump.

"Good thing you cut the BLUE wire."
"NAH. I cut the RED."
"WHAT!!! You cut the RED one!!??..... RUN!!!!!!!"
Old 08-26-2009, 04:36 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: straight 6

factory disarm for that year is a green/orange wire in your driver kick that needs to be grounded to disarm it i would NEVER pay 75bucks just for a factory remote you can get a damn nice aftermarket alarm the whole alarm with 2 key fobs for less then that and it will disarm your factory alarm with the aftermarket alarm that site is a crock of crap for those replacement remotes
Old 08-26-2009, 06:32 PM
CF Veteran

Ya it would be nice to have an alarm but its just a pain to have to keep unlocking the back door to stop it from going off. I have been just locking the doors by hand like Howler GT said and seems to be working today but what a pain when I have a switch for that. lol So if i get another alarm put on it will just overide it and the 2 will become 1 is that right? And does anyone have a diagram of the wire that need to be grounded?
Old 08-27-2009, 05:12 PM

yes that is true one the alarm question 2=1
the other should be behind your kick pannel on the driver side it should be the only green/orange wire down there
Old 08-27-2009, 05:27 PM
CF Veteran

So around my fuse box? and then where would i ground the wires and can I ground then together or separately. and if i do that my power locks still work correct? Sorry guys Im not up to date on my wiring. lol I should be but im not
Old 08-27-2009, 11:54 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by thesundancekid
factory disarm for that year is a green/orange wire in your driver kick that needs to be grounded to disarm it i would NEVER pay 75bucks just for a factory remote you can get a damn nice aftermarket alarm the whole alarm with 2 key fobs for less then that and it will disarm your factory alarm with the aftermarket alarm that site is a crock of crap for those replacement remotes
Yup, it's expensive, but I suspect the reason is because AFAIK that is the only place you can get them. I didn't have to pay for mine. But remember, we're simply giving the OP some options. The ultimate choice will be his to make. Do you have an option to offer besides *****ing about something neither of us can change?
Old 07-01-2010, 10:55 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 6 Cylinder 4.0

Hi im haveing the same problem with my jeep. I was just trying to find out if anybody would know how to correct this befor I try the dealership>If I set my alarm I can't disarm it with the key in the door. I only have one key hole, so when I open the door the alarm goes off. I have to put the key in the ignition turn to the on position. The alarm goes off

Last edited by vbarbee; 07-01-2010 at 10:57 PM. Reason: extra info
Old 07-02-2010, 07:57 AM
CF Veteran

Did you read the entire thread? The solution is here. Also, another trick I used to use was I would unlock the Jeep from the passenger side with the key. Doing this on the driver side doesn't work, but I have 100% success from the ps.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:49 AM

Year: 2004
Engine: 2,5L CRD
Default Alarm does not arm

Hi All. Good to know that I'm not the only one having alarm problems with my otherwise trusty 2004 Cherokee 2,5CRD LTD. (Known in your neck of the woods as a Patriot, I think) My problem: The alarm won't arm at all when you press the lock button on the remote. The red light on the dash goes right into the "slow blink" mode. Al other operations are normal. Anyone else had this problem?
Old 07-20-2010, 11:01 AM
CF Veteran

I'm willing to bet you're the only Patriot owner here. We're all Cherokee (XJ) owners and our knowledge of a Patriot would be pretty limited. Why don't you check with a dealership?
Old 07-21-2010, 03:21 PM

would be limited inless you have a directechs account

lt. green/orange at the driver door lock switch in the door. It is negative trigger thru a 463 ohm resistor. MUST use a relay.