Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

NOT "Death Wobble"`

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default NOT "Death Wobble"`

I have poured over the death wobble threads and this is not it.

I get the strangest low speed wobble....I mean real low speed. 5mph or so while slowing down. It feels like my right side is raising and lowering several inches, I know this isnt likely and its probably just being exaggerated by the suspension but is very strange all the same.

I also have some popping and creaking...but Im pretty sure that unrelated and most likey bearings or ball joints.

My thought is a warped rotor but I really dont know. Any thoughs or obvious facepalm inducing revelations would be great.

Thanks.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

Maybe it is an out of round tire - as in mounted slightly off center on the rim somehow. I saw a movie of tires at speed once...as speed increases the tire becomes progressively more distorted from centrifugal force. Speed may decrease the effect?

Or...might be a very slightly bent axle?

Guessing. But I didn't see any other ideas so, what the heck, might as well guess.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:08 PM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

before i say this here is my disclaimer! do this smartly and nice and slow to be safe!

jack up your jeep on the axles in all 4 corners (or take your rear driveshaft off and just jack up the front axle and chock the rear tires)

turn your jeep on, put it in 1st gear, auto or manual tranny, and in 4lo. let off the brake SLOWLY. then get out and observe the tire and what it is doing. it should be spinning slow enough to watch everything happen, if not try it in 4hi. but never move out of 1st gear! .

again be smart about doing this! and i recommend removing your rear DS and chocking the rear tires in front and behind them!