Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Alarm install help...

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 02:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Alarm install help...

trying something new as a prototype through one of the suppliers at work, and have run into a couple of snags on the XJ. ( none of the techs in store have done alarms, starters, etc) Anyone on here do alarms /remote starters as a job?

'89 Cherokee Laredo, AFAIK its originally a US truck, speedo converted to metric when imported to canada. no daytime running lights, no ABS, no A/C, no power windows, just aftermarket central locks that I installed last month.

two areas I'm having issue are:
1) headlight 'flash' - mine has the headlight sentry courtesy exit lights, so every time the setup tries to flash, it triggers the courtesy exit for 45 seconds. the lights seem to wire directly out from the sentry relay, but I cant find a pinout type wiring diagram for it, and the darn thing is almost inaccessible for testing. Its been driving me nuts, and I'm contemplating just flashing the brake lights instead for ease of wiring! online wiring guides, and installer pages dont even show the courtesy exit lights setup, so no tips or hints there...and yes, it is factory.

2) really the more serious issue: I cant get the system to go into setup mode, or to recognize the remotes. Autostart model 6270, combined alarm, remote start, and keyless entry. Anyone worked with them? known issues or tricks?

any help or suggestions appreciated...we WERE considering doing these in store, but if they're all this much of a PITA, I think we're going to be taking a 'pass' on the whole idea.