Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Airbags

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbags

Not sure if there was a tech write up on this or not. I have a 96 and want to disconnect the airbag. Not trying to have it go off while wheelin.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Cherokee

I forgot but theres either a fuse or a relay that you need to pull in order to disengage it.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L

I was looking at mine last nite and it had a relay forget where.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:55 PM

I figured there was a fuse but wasnt sure if the fuse was only airbag or a combination of airbag and somthing else.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 94 XJ

My passenger's side airbag is always touchy.
Has a real short fuse.

SHE usually goes off when I say something like, "Don't like the way I drive? Go drive your own Cherokee."

Old 08-06-2008, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Howler_GT
My passenger's side airbag is always touchy.
Has a real short fuse.

SHE usually goes off when I say something like, "Don't like the way I drive? Go drive your own Cherokee."

I believe I have a similar model of passenger airbag. Mine usually goes off when I say " hang on to something, I got this".

Any way, so I'm going with pulling the fuse? I thought airbags needed to be disconnected under the dash. I remember someone telling me they have their own style of connector so you can identify it as the airbag.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993

This may or may not help! It's from the autozone webstie.

SYSTEM OPERATION

The supplemental restraint system is designed to work in concert with the seat belts to further prevent personal injury during a head-on collision with another object. The air bag system utilizes an air bag module, front impact sensors, a clockspring, and a diagnostic module.

With the battery cables connected, the air bag system system is energized and monitoring the front impact sensors and the safing sensor for collision confirmation messages. When the vehicle strikes, or is struck by, another object (such as a tree, wall, another vehicle, etc.), the front impact sensors and safing sensor send impulses to the diagnostic module, which determines the force and direction of the impact. Based on this information the diagnostic module either deploys or does not deploy the air bag.

The only time that the air bag system is completely disarmed with no chance of accidental deployment is when the battery cables have been disconnected from the battery and set aside, and at least 2 minutes have gone by to allow the system capacitor to discharge any residual energy.

SYSTEM COMPONENTS

See Figure 1

Air Bag Module

The air bag module is the most visible part of the system. It contains the air bag cushion and its supporting components. The air bag module contains a housing to which the cushion and inflator are attached and sealed.

The inflator assembly is mounted to the back of the module housing. When supplied with the proper electrical signal, the inflator assembly produces a gas which discharges directly into the cushion. A protective cover is fitted to the front of the air bag module and forms a decorative cover in the center of the steering wheel. The driver&rsquos side air bag module is mounted directly to the steering wheel. The passenger&rsquos side air bag module, if equipped, is mounted on the dashboard ahed of the passenger.

Fig. 1: Exploded view of the air bag module
Front Impact Sensors

The impact sensors provide verification of the direction and severity of the impact. Three impact sensors are used. One is called a safing sensor. It is located inside the diagnostic module which is mounted on the floor pan, just forward of the center console. The other two sensors are mounted on the upper crossmember of the radiator closure panel on the left and right side of the vehicle under the hood.

The impact sensors are threshold sensitive switches that complete an electrical circuit when an impact provides a sufficient "g force" to close the switch. The sensors are calibrated for the specific vehicle and react to the severity and direction of the impact.

Clockspring

The clockspring is mounted on the steering column behind the steering wheel and is used to maintain a continuous electrical circuit between the wiring harness and the driver's air bag module. This assembly consists of a flat ribbon-like electrically conductive tape which winds and unwinds with the steering wheel rotation.

Diagnostic Module

The Air Bag System Diagnostic Module (ASDM) contains the safing sensor and energy reserve capacitor. The ASDM monitors the system to determine the system readiness. The ASDM will store sufficient energy to deploy the air bag for only two minutes after the battery is disconnected. The ASDM contains on-board diagnostics and will illuminate the AIR BAG warning lamp in the cluster when a fault occurs.

SERVICE PRECAUTIONS

When working on the air bag system or any components which require the removal of the air bag, adhere to all of these precautions to minimize the risks of personal injury or component damage:

Before attempting to diagnose, remove or install air bag system components, you must first disconnect and isolate the negative (-) battery cable. Failure to do so could result in accidental deployment and possible personal injury.
When an undeployed air bag assembly is to be removed from the steering wheel, after disconnecting the negative battery cable, allow the system capacitor to discharge for two minutes before commencing with the air bag system component removal.
Replace the air bag system components only with Chrysler MoparŽ specified replacement parts, or equivalent. Substitute parts may visually appear interchangeable, but internal differences may result in inferior occupant protection.
The fasteners, screws, and bolts originally used for the air bag system have special coatings and are specifically designed for the system. They must never be replaced with any substitutes. Anytime a new fastener is needed, replace with the correct fasteners provided in the service package or fasteners listed in the parts books.
Handling A Live Air Bag Module

At no time should any source of electricity be permitted near the inflator on the back of the module. When carrying a live module, the trim cover should be pointed away from the body to minimize injury in the event of accidental deployment. In addition, if the module is placed on a bench or other surface, the plastic trim cover should be face up to minimize movement in case of accidental deployment.

When handling a steering column with an air bag module attached, never place the column on the floor or other surface with the steering wheel or module face down.

Handling A Deployed Air Bag Module

The vehicle interior may contain a very small amount of sodium hydroxide powder, a by-product of air bag deployment. Since this powder can irritate the skin, eyes, nose or throat, be sure to wear safety glasses, rubber gloves and long sleeves during clean up.

If you find that the clean up is irritating your skin, run cool water over the affected area. Also, if you experience nasal or throat irritation, exit the vehicle for fresh air until the irritation ceases. If irritation continues, see a physician.

Begin the clean up by putting tape over the two air bag exhaust vents so that no additional powder will find its way into the vehicle interior. Then remove the air bag and air bag module from the vehicle.

Use a vacuum cleaner to remove any residual powder from the vehicle interior. Work from the outside in so that you avoid kneeling or sitting in an uncleaned area.

Be sure to vacuum the heater and A/C outlets as well. In fact it's a good idea to run the blower on low and to vacuum up any powder expelled from the plenum. You may need to vacuum the interior of the car a second time to recover all of the powder.

Check with the local authorities before disposing of the deployed bag and module in your trash.

After an air bag has been deployed, the air bag module and clockspring must be replaced, because they cannot be reused. Other air bag system components should be replaced with new ones, if damaged.

DISARMING THE SYSTEM

To disarm the air bag system, simply disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery. Isolate the battery cable by taping up any exposed metal areas of the cable. This will keep the cable from accidentally contacting the battery and causing deployment of the air bag. Allow the system capacitor to discharge for at least 2 minutes, although 10 minutes is recommended, to allow for the dissipation of any residual energy.

ARMING THE SYSTEM

To arm the system, reconnect the negative battery cable. This will automatically enable the system.