Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Airbag light and Electrical Gremlins- HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Airbag light and Electrical Gremlins- HELP!!!

Hi Everyone

I have been lurking around this forum for about a year now and have been reluctant to post cuz this is all new to me and I don't know quite how things work. But I have a problem that NO ONE can seem to figure out, so I thought i would try my luck here. I have searched the forums in depth and have seen related issues and solutions, but none that speak to my specific problem.

I have a 1998 XJ, 203.000 miles that runs great and has been very reliable. I started having the airbag light and speedo problem intermittently about three years ago. When the airbag light comes on, I lose speedo, fuel gauge, odo and as I found out the hard way, all warning lights (including the CEL). This caused me to fry my transmission due to the fact that the CEL never came on to tell me there was a problem.

I know about cleaning the contacts to the IP and Airbag module recall (both not the issue). I tried swapping out the instrument panel thinking there could be a short in the board that would cause this glitch, but it made no difference. The horn will work so I don't think it is the clockspring and I can't replace the trans till I get this electrical issue resolved. I had the best electrical guy in Phoenix work on it for three weeks - he looked at the entire elec. system and is as perplexed as I am. I don't want to give up on this jeep, but can't afford to keep throwing money into elec. diagnostic fees when there is no known obvious problem.

As I said, the problem is intermittent - when the airbag light does go off after its initial start cycle, everything works as normal and all lights and gauges in the IP function as they should, but if the airbag light stays on, the rest of the panel is dead.

Does anyone have any idea why the airbag light issue would cause the rest of the electronics to go dead and is there a fix for this? I'm sure it will end up being something stupid, but I am at a loss as to what to look at next.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks

Tony
Old 05-10-2011, 09:49 PM

Default I feel your pain

I have a '97 with the instrument panel issues. Mine sometimes clears up when you use the right turn signal. I originally had multiple problems, including a bad clockspring, which I replaced, fixing the horn and cruise control. Replacing bad o2 sensors fixed the CELs. I have replaced the turn signal switch and flasher relay. Still, the airbag light comes on and the gauges go off. Sometimes all the gauges go out, sometimes just the speedo and tach and sometimes the oil gauge will read low until it fixes itself.

I have cleaned the gauge contacts. I have poked around checking various grounds. I used to like Cherokees. This is my third. Had a '86 and a '93, but the engineering on these things is squirrely. I have a Haynes manual and AllData subscription, but have yet to find a valid diagram for the fuse box by the passenger feet. Tonight I have been struggling with the transmission cooler line leak -- another popular and universal topic.

Going over bumps or smacking the dashboard has no effect on my instrument problem, so I'm leaning toward an electronic issue. Maybe it's bad connectors, but based on the behavior, doesn't make sense to me. But I may end up trying.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:03 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 92 & 99

Going through the same issue with the instrument panel as well on my 99. Kind of goes beyond frustrating, mine goes on and off repeatedly and sometimes just stays off. Have cleaned the connections, battery terminals, checked fuses and at wit's end as well.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:48 AM

When checking an issue with the Sony aftermarket radio, I found that unplugging the antenna would cut off power to the radio. It was loose and causing the radio to work sporadically. That doesn't sound right, does it?