Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

air conditioning question

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 10:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default air conditioning question

From what I understand, my 93 has an r-12 a/c system. And to get it recharged id have to get it converted to 134a..

Now instead of changing the lines, would this be an acceptable fix?? Im a complete n00b when it comes to air conditioning systems

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Auto-A-C-Syst...item27b54a4432
Old 02-18-2012, 10:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by pickles
From what I understand, my 93 has an r-12 a/c system. And to get it recharged id have to get it converted to 134a..

Now instead of changing the lines, would this be an acceptable fix?? Im a complete n00b when it comes to air conditioning systems

Those kits do work, most auto part stores sell them as well. That kit doesn't come with near enough r134 though. Just make sure to get your r12 removed properly.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:53 PM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Laredo

NO.. that's total BS. r12 and 134a can't be mixed, they're not compatible.. Even some of the R12 systems components aren't compatible with 134a.. Those parts you looked at above 'MIGHT' be used in an actual conversion, yes, the schrader valves are different sizes so people can't just fill up their old R12 system with 134a gas. Auto AC service is difficult at best for the home mechanic. Find a pro
Old 02-18-2012, 02:22 PM

Engine: 4.0

Im not trying mix anything I just want the updated 134a type valves so that i can take it to a shop and get it done. Unless I "have" to swap the entire a/c system from a newer XJ, in that case I would just continue to roll the ol' windows down
Old 02-18-2012, 02:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: I6 4.0

Your going to have to change valves lines and get it serviced of all r12 and get it filled and tested with 134a
Old 02-18-2012, 02:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

get freeze 12 r 12 replacement been usuing it for yearshttp://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...at=0&_from=R40
Old 02-23-2012, 06:05 PM

Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 XJ

I converted my R12 1990 Mustang to R134 with the retro kit. It would leak out over the winter and I would just recharge it and it would work fine all summer. It blew cold air and was fine. It is not Ideal, but the kit comes with a conditioner in it for the seals and hoses. My AC system was in decent shape so it worked. If your AC system is whacked and has leaks and other problems then it won't work well with any AC gas. I am in the process of repairing mine in my 90 XJ.

I bought a new/rebuilt AC compressor, orifice tube, drier, hose, orings and condenser so I can change it over to R134. It was about $380 in parts but it is the right way to do it. I got the Compressor at Oreilly's with clutch for $169. The hose I got from Autozone for $52. The other stuff I got from RockAuto.com.
The stock hose will leak because it is the wrong hose type for R134. The R134 molecules are smaller and will pass through the hose material without the conditioner. If you do a rebuilt system, you don't want conditioner it, do it right. The retro kit is really a patch type fix on a system you have nothing to loose with. But it works for awhile.

It is true R134 is not as cold in some systems as R12, but it is cheaper and legal for the average person to buy and use. My Mustang was pretty cold and I didn't feel that much of a difference. Only when I was idling did it seem to not cool as well.
Most of the people on here that say it won't or doesn't work had other problems and neither R12 or R134 would have worked well because their system had other issues. If one component in your AC system doesn't work, your AC won't work. It all works together, hence AC System.

And for everyone out there with the ozone issue, R134 is just as bad for the ozone. It even says it is illegal to release into the air on the can. It is just legal to buy and use. DuPont declared R12 was depleting the ozone because it's patent "They invented it" was running out on it and wanted to hang on to the Monopoly for automotive refrigerant gas. Have your old stuff outlawed, patent your new stuff and make all the other companies continue to pay royalties. Ah, the American way.

Last edited by Modrod; 02-23-2012 at 06:10 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:04 PM
kps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

also dont forget the potential for a terrorist to use R12 to make phosgene gas, thats another reason for the banning, & regulation.

open flame with a dose of R12 will created that gas & is deadly.

as for R12, when I was young, we could buy bb guns that used it for a propellant, teachers opened cans to freeze desks, people would sneak & freeze chairs before class in summer & someone with shorts would sit & jump out of skin on the cold chair.

I was trained how to use it years before the regulations came, never got a license, but do what I have to, so I have air conditioning.

there are backyard ways that work, but shouldnt be taught & hopefully are not taught, but work. I was around & I am a dynasaur from a bygone era, & I stll prefer to tune cars with an ossiciliscope, instead of a scanner, so yeah, I show my age.