Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Ah the questions!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5 4 banger
Default Ah the questions!

Hello all, new here but been reading a while. You see, my cherokee, a beautiful 94 white 2 door with black trim and fender flares 5 speed, see bottom end seized and blew the head. I bought a new motor, 7,000 miles on it, thats right 7, not 70. Its ready to go in and all thats holding the old one in is the engine mounts and tranny at this point. I have bored out my throttle body considerably, keeping in regard to flare out from the throttle plate, which has been knife edged. matched the intake manifold to the throttle body, gasket, all that fun stuff. Just to give you an idea where I am so far. hahaha

Now I am on the search for more ponies as you can imagine being a sad 2.5.....

I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion as to a good header, as I can seem to find one for every year but a 94???

Also, I am well versed in my mechanics, just a new fellow in jeeps. I have rebuilt them all from mustang motors, to saturn motors. Exhaust and cai have already been taken care of, now Im not ase or anything like that, just a well versed back yard mechanic.

Im also on the search for a mid range cam. Plan on installing a taurus fan to reduce parasitic loss, and I cant seem to find under drive pulleys for this particular engine... Custom fabrication maybe? AC has already been removed and belt shortened, I live in RI so it goes from literally 0 to 100 with all the humidity in the world, but Ive never owned a vehicle with ac yet so I can take it. haha. Beautiful trails up here, used to hit in my 91 f150 5.0 with an 8" and plenty of engine goodies as you can imagine!

Also I was thinking I could throw on a garrett t3 I have just lying around, but I cant even find a header, nevermind a turbo manifold. I wont lie, I dont have the effort in me to custom fab one, especially with my lack of tools, ie, a welder. Was thinking if I could I might fab a sandwich plate and stack gaskets, run it at a safeish 10 lbs constant intercolled.

Suspension and body come after engine, but this jeep, shes my girl, my Nakita. Any advice on anything Ive mentioned, or any other pwer mods, superchargers, things kind of out of the box, anything. I heard a throttle body spacer would help but its fi so I think all that would do is reduce the incoming air temp considering the intake manifold basicly sits ON the exhaust manifold. hahahahahahaha. Anything would be great through. New engines ready to go in, all the work is done to pull and replace, just wondering what i can do to liven her up a little before I take those final steps.... I apologize if ive asked alot of silly questions that have already been answered but hopefully there are a few new ones in there that will intrigue some. Thank you in advance, and considering I am new here, I may not check in for at least a week, but an email would be great and extremely helpful. thkpripper@yahoo.com.

Thank you all, and again, apologies for any wastes of time I may have caused...
Old 12-08-2009, 01:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5 4 banger

wow, is everybody asleep in here?
Old 12-08-2009, 02:06 AM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix