Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Agate interior spray paint?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 07:20 AM
.:.

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Default Agate interior spray paint?

Has anyone ever found a place that sells the Agate interior color of spray paint?

I found this: https://www.paintscratch.com/touch_u...or-AZ-LAZ.html

But 1 can is $30 and I might need 2 and the clear coat is $20. So that's like $80+ just to paint a gauge pod.

Are there any normally priced spray paints you have found that match this Agate color well?
Old 05-30-2019, 07:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000

Originally Posted by .:.
Has anyone ever found a place that sells the Agate interior color of spray paint?

I found this: https://www.paintscratch.com/touch_u...or-AZ-LAZ.html

But 1 can is $30 and I might need 2 and the clear coat is $20. So that's like $80+ just to paint a gauge pod.

Are there any normally priced spray paints you have found that match this Agate color well?
This guy bloodlemons was trying to source some manual door panels. He wanted Agate but ended up with Mist Gray.
Was going to paint them with this I believe:

Amazon Amazon

You can read it here:

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f12/99...e-gray-250899/

He was going to report back about the project after he did it but has not yet.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Ralph77
This guy bloodlemons was trying to source some manual door panels. He wanted Agate but ended up with Mist Gray.
Was going to paint them with this I believe:

https://www.amazon.com/ColorBond-163.../dp/B00G6ILI24

You can read it here:

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f12/99...e-gray-250899/

He was going to report back about the project after he did it but has not yet.
Nice. I saw that, but I thought it was the wrong color because of the cap they have pictured. I am going to order a can right now and see if it's right. Thank you.

Edit: What do you think I should do as far as prep? Adhesion promoter? Clear coat? It's a GlowShift gauge pod.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Engine: 4.0

But 1 can is $30 and I might need 2

I can't imagine why you would need 2. You should be able to do two coats with one can, and have some left over. How big is the pod?

and the clear coat is $20.
Any clear coat should do. Pick that up at the hardware store for around 8 bucks.

A custom [anything] is always going to be expensive. The market is tiny, and the costs are the same as for mass market, so those costs are distributed over a smaller customer base.

But why does it need to match? Why not pick a complementary color?
Old 05-30-2019, 08:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000

Nice. I saw that, but I thought it was the wrong color because of the cap they have pictured. I am going to order a can right now and see if it's right. Thank you.

Edit: What do you think I should do as far as prep? Adhesion promoter? Clear coat? It's a GlowShift gauge pod.
Not a clue. I was really hoping that guy would report back cause I have a project that this might work for.
I want to change the inset in the lower door panel, it is missing the fake woodgrain strip, to agate to match the panel on the door.
So if you go through with this can you report back on how and what you thought about it?
Old 05-30-2019, 08:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Engine: 4.0

Nothing.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark
I can't imagine why you would need 2. You should be able to do two coats with one can, and have some left over. How big is the pod?
Any clear coat should do. Pick that up at the hardware store for around 8 bucks.
A custom [anything] is always going to be expensive. The market is tiny, and the costs are the same as for mass market, so those costs are distributed over a smaller customer base.
But why does it need to match? Why not pick a complementary color?
One will likely do the trick, but I wanted to make absolutely sure I can do 2 coats and have a little left over if I ever needed some again. Also, I'm really OCD, haha. It's just a 3 pod gauge cluster. It's about 2 feet long. I guess it doesn't NEED to match. Black would work fine, but I just personally think it would look cooler if it all had a "stock" look to it. I've never been a big fan of custom interiors with non-stock colors or multiple colors beyond stock. Yeah, you're right about the market. Good point. I didn't think of that.

Originally Posted by Ralph77
Not a clue. I was really hoping that guy would report back cause I have a project that this might work for.
I want to change the inset in the lower door panel, it is missing the fake woodgrain strip, to agate to match the panel on the door.
So if you go through with this can you report back on how and what you thought about it?
Okay, will do. Probably will be doing this on Saturday when the can of paint arrives. Feel free to shoot me a private message Saturday morning to remind me to take photos.

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark
Nothing.
Kind of what I was thinking. Thanks for the confirmation. Depending on how it looks I might leave it as is or maybe use a matte clear to try to get it closer to stock. Gotta see how the 2 coats works out first.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Working on similar project

I am converting my interior from bluejean/mist grey to black/agate and painting the plastics was suggested to me instead of hunting used interior bits off of ebay or in junk yards. I would really appreciate your opinions and results. Thanks for posting this.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Bog-Standard
I am converting my interior from bluejean/mist grey to black/agate and painting the plastics was suggested to me instead of hunting used interior bits off of ebay or in junk yards. I would really appreciate your opinions and results. Thanks for posting this.
Noted. Won't be able to do this until at least Saturday.