Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Advice Please. Looking @ an XJ need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 02:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Advice Please. Looking @ an XJ need help

Hello as you can see I'm new to the forum. Heck I'm new to the Jeep world period. As a matter of fact I have always hated Jeeps b/c of shear jealousy in aftermarket support . Sorry but I had to be honest. However my thought process on the JEEP world has changed and now I'm looking for a secondary trail rig that I can drive to and from offroad parks reliably and get back home in. Also my family is wanting to venture out wheeling with me and I simply can not take my wife, 2 younger sisters, and my mom in my two door ZR2 truck . So I began to look on the InterWeb for a family trailrig. I think I may have hit gold but I would definatley like a second opinion from a forum that specilizes in the vehicle I want.

So here is what I have found:

Its a 1990 XJ with a 2000 model 4.0 HO motor (why I have no idea ).Maybe he wanted the HO motor with its 190 HP. It has 5 in lift of some sort (didn't say what kind), 456 gears,Lockers front and rear (he says there Lockrite),33in. Pro-Comp Xterrians with 70% tread left, Warn ES9000 winch with winch bumper (plated kind dont know which manufacture), A/C works and power windows work. Automatic. Smittybilt rear tubed bumper,clear title,runs and drives great. He wants a new project thats the reason for selling.

http://bham.craigslist.org/cto/1656759102.html

So I call the guy and I ask him some basic questions and he tells me that it has this: AW4 tranny, NP231 transfer case, D30 HP up front, 35 rear, and doesn't think it has anti-lock brakes. From the pictures I have seen it does not appear to have any body rust. Haven't seen interior pics yet.

He wants $2900 for it. So my questions for you folks are: Does anything sound wierd to you guys other than the motor swap? Does this XJ have the vaccuum disconnect? I have heard that there is not much you can do with the vaccuum disconnect stuff. Is that true? Read that in Peterson's 4x4 mag. Does that seem like a fair price? Also what are some things I should be on the lookout for when I go look at it? Is there anything you guys would reccomend? What would be a deal breaker if something was messed up?

Sorry for the long post but this XJ is 4 hours away from me so any help or insight yall could give me would be very much appreciated. I really want this XJ just needed to have a good second opinion on it first. Thanks and I hope that I'll be seeing all of you around.

MT

Last edited by ZR2nit; 03-24-2010 at 02:48 AM.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:49 AM

posted link so you guys can see what I see. Plus if something falls through (which it hasn't yet) one of you can snag it
Old 03-24-2010, 03:42 AM

Well... It's a pretty serious piece of hardware, probably been "wheeled" once or twice... and therefore, "hammered" once or twice. The question is, "how bad"?

I have no doubt that it was well built by someone that truly loves XJ's, but... why is it for sale?

The "deal breaker"?
Battle Scars!!!

Just my $0.02
Old 03-24-2010, 04:08 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

Yeah. Definitely would do a close inspection. If its got all those goodies they've probably been tested also. Just make sure everythings in working order and take a chance. Buying a used vehicles is always a 50/50 shot, especially a 4x4. Good luck with it and welcome to the forum.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:24 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 93
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

Sounds like a good deal to me. For 2900 bucks, I wouldn't care too much if it was a little beat up. It's going to be a trail rig anyway. I'd say if everything works, buy the crap out of it.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 96
Engine: 2.5l I-4

Originally Posted by rollingstone
Sounds like a good deal to me. For 2900 bucks, I wouldn't care too much if it was a little beat up. It's going to be a trail rig anyway. I'd say if everything works, buy the crap out of it.
x2 on that. Don't worry about battle scars, and such. Mine has shoddy paint, some missing armrests inside, some small dents, but my friends always tell me, "...but it's a Jeep. It's supposed to look a bit beat up." I honestly believe, that the engine and drive train can easily outlast the body. There's people on here with more than 300k miles on the engine, little to no oil consumption, who take their XJ offroad a lot and use it as a DD.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:52 AM

Default Buyer Beware!!!

well.. i stepped away and i thought about it awhile, studied the ad and thought about it some more...

As long as it's not to beat to death, it might very well be a good buy. Just be sure to check for rust under the carpet, and signs fatigue on and around the upper and lower control arms, shock mounts and rear shackles. Don't expect the doors to open and close very well, because by the looks of the fender wells (or lack thereof) it's been flexed a time or two! As long as it's still structurally sound, everything else will be fixable, ya know?

Go take a look at it, talk XJ with the guy, let him know your intentions with it, talk to him some more, find his soft spot and work him. If you play your cards right, i'm sure that he will re-negotiate on the price.

I have a pretty good idea that you know what time of day it is, and therefore, you'll make the right decision...

Blah, blah... blah!
Post up some pics when you get it!!!
Old 03-24-2010, 06:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

things to consider...
it's a 1990 with a 231, so it likely has the vac disco axle. does it have a real or fabbed up posi-lok.
rear d35 is scary locked, but can replace that if a good deal comes around.
does it have aftermarket control arms and are they adjustable.
what about track bar, same?
what are the springs, rear looks a little sagged.
we all know how the floors rust out on these.
is it open or closed cooling system?

good points to consider...
lockrites front and rear.
it has a warn winch.
front bumper is beef, rear sh!ttybuilt is crap.
newer installed motor. however even tho it's an H.O, if it doesn't have the computer (which i doubt) it won't be an H.O. especially if it has the renix head and such. no biggie tho.
it has a warn winch.

paint and interior isn't the most important thing, but as long as the creature comforts you desire are up to your standards. besides, you can paint this in your driveway for 50 bux.
i don't like the cut out on the front fenders, but a 97+ front clip would fix all that and make the rig look killer.

all in all, sounds like a good deal, bonus if it has skid plates.
i'd obviously try for around 2300, but a decent wheelable rig to get you on the trails.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:57 AM

Default thanks

Wow thanks for the advice guys. I thought that the newer HO motor had the "open" cooling system? So things to look for = rust, suspension fatigue,body mounts (what do I need to look for there?) computer. Did I miss anything? I really appreciate the insight and help
Old 03-24-2010, 10:04 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 liter

Drivers front side tire in the picture looks to be bent inwards toward the engine. Maybe a sign that it needs to be looked at.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I-6 H.O.

Originally Posted by SHO_91
There's people on here with more than 300k miles on the engine, little to no oil consumption, who take their XJ offroad a lot and use it as a DD.
I have 285K on mine and I DD it everyday about 50 miles both ways

I say get it, if it doesnt have any serious driveability problems it will be good
Old 03-24-2010, 10:08 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 liter

See how its bent. It mite be how the jeep is positioned or how he took the picture but could possibly be some damage.
Attached Images  
Old 03-24-2010, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by GoreXJ95
See how its bent. It mite be how the jeep is positioned or how he took the picture but could possibly be some damage.
Good point, i see it also. Look for tire wear. Again, fixable and a very good bargaining chip!!!

...If it still drives okay
Old 03-24-2010, 10:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 99 94
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: I6

No, don't get that one. I can tell it's going to have some problems. It's definately not worth 2900$ either. Get a newer one for cheaper and make it yourself so that you know what has gone into it and its history.

Would type more but at school.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by GoreXJ95
Nice find. Yea I may pass. I bid on a really nice 92 on ebay. We will see how it goes I already bid $1800 and it still didn't hit the reserve : ( . Where do you guys find these awesome deals

Quick Reply: Advice Please. Looking @ an XJ need help