Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Adjust driver door angle?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Adjust driver door angle?

So I just recently bought a 2001 XJ and am down to a couple nit-picky things I'm trying to fix on it. (First post, but I think I'll be back a lot!)

First and foremost is the driver side door. When you open the door, the minute you've gone past the latch bar, the door drops about a quarter inch. Now, this is nothing that impedes the function of the door ... it's well within spec of being able to close easily, but I'd still like to adjust it if possible. I just can't figure out how! There don't seem to be any loose screws or bolts on the sucker, but the door /still/ seems to have that quarter to half inch play up and down in it (if you open the door just a little, I can lift the back end of the door up and down just a touch ... can't do this on any other doors!)

Only obvious thing is that it's missing the pin that holds the door spring in place. The previous owner just replaced it with a bolt (fine for now). I don't /think/ this is relevant, but thought I'd mention it. I'm going to get a new pin for that mostly because the bolt is slightly too small (diameter) and you can hear it rattle around or pop loudly when opening and closing the door.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

the bolt is the problem take it out and put the right pin back in chances are the bolt is just a little to small. And if that isnt the problem check were the door is mounted to the body the himges have a tendency of ripping out and the door falling off
Old 08-01-2009, 02:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

very common problem, the welds start to crack on the hinges if that's the case just remove the door sand it to metal and put a nice bead back on and then primer paint to stop rust and then install the door back on. pretty easy fix.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:45 PM

Well, I can't spot any cracks in the welds or anything. What it /appears/ to be is something about the center joint on the two hinges for that door. The little rubber seals or gaskets, whatever they are, are cracked all the hell and back and the wiggle room appears to be coming from the hinge pins that are then loose.

Guessing I just flat out need to replace the hinges?

But I'm also guessing it's a bear to true up the door with different hinges?
Old 08-01-2009, 09:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 481 Likes on 413 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

This is a common problem due to worn hinge pins. It is an easy fix. There are some shims that go under the hinges on the door side. Just add a couple under the lower hinge and that will bring it up. You will just have to experiment to find the right number. You can find these at a wrecking yard if nowhere else.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by 4.3L XJ
This is a common problem due to worn hinge pins. It is an easy fix. There are some shims that go under the hinges on the door side. Just add a couple under the lower hinge and that will bring it up. You will just have to experiment to find the right number. You can find these at a wrecking yard if nowhere else.
Heh! I didn't get a note that you posted here, so I missed it. THanks for the tip! I might try that as my first and cheapest fix
Old 08-15-2009, 03:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 481 Likes on 413 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

Good Luck
Old 08-15-2009, 04:02 PM

Went looking for shims, and found door hinge pin replacements for the XJ at autozone. They're only $4 each, so I ordered two (one for the top, one for the bottom). I'll post here when they come in and I can see if they work!

Also got the funny spring pin from Jeep for $12. With a little luck, that door will be quiet and solid again here in a week (when I get to work on it again next weekend).