Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Adding 2 more inches

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 08:17 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Adding 2 more inches

I currently have a rough country 3.5 inch lift (add a leaf). and i am going to be installing 1.75 inch coil spacers and 2 inch shackles in the rear. I am also going to be doing a tc drop. I know eveyone is going to say SYE, i am doing the TC drop right now because i cannot afford an SYE. Im assuming im going to need extended brake lines off a TJ. Do i need to do that for the front and rear? Also i will be relocating my trac- bar. Anything else i should do?

Thanks in advance
Old 05-10-2010, 08:30 AM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

Originally Posted by zfranklin92
I currently have a rough country 3.5 inch lift (add a leaf). and i am going to be installing 1.75 inch coil spacers and 2 inch shackles in the rear. I am also going to be doing a tc drop. I know eveyone is going to say SYE, i am doing the TC drop right now because i cannot afford an SYE. Im assuming im going to need extended brake lines off a TJ. Do i need to do that for the front and rear? Also i will be relocating my trac- bar. Anything else i should do?

Thanks in advance
Hi. I have a 3 inch AAL Zone kit with a 1 3/4 BB from RC and all I needed to do was add a rear brake bracket (From "Howler_GT) and I also put in 4 degree shims and a TCase drop and I have no problems. IMO You don't need to extend the front brake lines...Tj
Old 05-10-2010, 08:37 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0

I have a 3.5" tuff country lift looks like a 4" lift but i was thinking about doing the same thing. I have done some research and there are a few members on this forum who have done this and regret it. I dont want to steer you the wrong way but here is my .02.

Once u add the lift you may need adjustable control arms if u dont have them because when adding the lift it will pull the front tires back towards the truck also it will ride very rough because of the steep control arm angle. you could do lower control arm relocation brackets but thats shelling out more cash. You are going to need extended brake lines and possibly trac bar. What about a longer pitman arm as well? Once you do the extra lift are you going to need new shocks as well? or are the ones now long enough. And lastly SYE ofcourse and that can wait a little. But all in all if you have to spend so much money on misc parts mentioned above you may just be better off buying a full lift kit. You may be happier in the end and just sell the old lift kit and make a few bucks back.

Again this is my .02 and i will try to find the thread about this for you

-Mike
Old 05-10-2010, 08:57 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 96
Engine: 6 cylinder

i also have a 3 inch skyjacker and was debating 2 inch shackles and spacers after researching and getting prices on all of the miscellaneous parts it would be cheaper and less hassle to just order the full kit that comes with everything you need except the sye and ex brake line. Thats just my 2 cents take it for what you want its your xj ur choice
Old 05-10-2010, 09:37 AM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0 I6

I know some people have done this. is there someone that has that can tell me what they did. long arms are in the near future. have the materials to build just need the time to make.