Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Actually, Not so much success....

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 12:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Actually, Not so much success....

Earlier i made a post about my TF904 transmission crapping out and then resolving itself with a fluid and filter change.

Well, after putting maybe 50 miles on it, it's doing it again. It's going a loud, consistent grinding noise coming from the transmission. It sounds like something is scraping itself apart.

Why did it stop with the fluid and filter change? When i pulled the pan yesterday, there was kind of a lot of very fine metal shavings at the bottom of the pan. I really don't want to have to rebuild it....
Old 10-24-2012, 01:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to say grinding and metallic pieces are not good signs.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

You're probably going to find more metal shavings if you drain it again. Sorry. It has to come apart now.
904's are everywhere in scrapyards, or at least used to be. I'd go that route.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Radi
You're probably going to find more metal shavings if you drain it again. Sorry. It has to come apart now.
904's are everywhere in scrapyards, or at least used to be. I'd go that route.
ya it happened again. Total loss of power, wouldn't move. More shavings in the pan. I replaced the filter and fluid again and it runs like new...again. But why? What gives? It ran like new for maybe 50 miles, then crapped out.

It was like it was starving for fluid, which i think is actually true. I think there's enough metal particles that just clogged up the filter, thus starving it of fluid via the filter.

I've called all the junk yards around here and none of them have a 904 in a Cherokee....but i can't seem to get them to care enough to find out if they just have a 904 somewhere in their yard. Any suggestions?
Old 10-24-2012, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: I6

ya your going to have to get out there your self and scope it all out. They are lazy and don't wanna look them selves. Get a different one and before you put it in be sure to do a filter change and pan gasket. You don't know how long it's been in there.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

It was like it was starving for fluid, which i think is actually true. I think there's enough metal particles that just clogged up the filter, thus starving it of fluid via the filter.
The filter is pretty undersized even though Chrysler enlarged it some years ago. You are probably correct.

I searched car-part.com in Texas for a used Cherokee 904 trans, found a couple- one with 67K miles in Graham, wherever that is. A couple more to pick from as well. Texas is a big state, lol. $300. Might try that site.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Radi
The filter is pretty undersized even though Chrysler enlarged it some years ago. You are probably correct.

I searched car-part.com in Texas for a used Cherokee 904 trans, found a couple- one with 67K miles in Graham, wherever that is. A couple more to pick from as well. Texas is a big state, lol. $300. Might try that site.
Thanks i just looked it up too and that's about 3 hours from me. It says that it only has 67k miles on it...how is that even possible? That thing is 26 years old. Should i have a shop put it in for me?

What gets me is that my tranny was rebuilt a year ago.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:46 PM

also, what would cause my transmission to over-rev like that? At 65 mph, my engine rpm is at 5500. I thought at first that was the torque converter tearing itself apart and dumping metal shavings in the pan. After i do a fluid and filter change, it runs fine, but the rpms stay high.......

what sucks is i was planning on selling this very soon....
Old 10-25-2012, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

if your running 5500 rpms on the highway you got some serious slippage going on in that transmission
Old 10-25-2012, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by jeep19xj91
if your running 5500 rpms on the highway you got some serious slippage going on in that transmission
but what's weird is it doesn't seem to be slipping. There's plenty of power and it shifts smooth. I'm not saying that rpms going that high isn't a product of the transmission slipping, but why wouldn't it 'feel' like it's slipping?
Old 10-25-2012, 03:09 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man you're talking yourself into circles. Your tranny is shot. 5.5k rpm at normal highway speeds is about twice what it should be.