Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

AC off, check guages light on

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default AC off, check guages light on

Here's the current mystery. The voltmeter is suddenly going off the scale on the positive side, and the check gauges light is coming on. If I stop for a sec - let the motor idle - it goes off.

At first, there was no problem if the AC was turned on. But the problem is getting more frequent, now it happens on fan speed 1 and 2, and only disappears on fan speed 3 and 4.

I replaced the ground wire and negative battery terminal. But I did not use a Jeep original cable to ground the battery to the right front panel. I also swapped the computer - the one at the front left of the engine bay (Cherokee Sports 2000) - to see if that was the problem, no joy.

Any suggestions? Any help much appreciated, I live in the middle of nowhere in the Middle East and it is hard to get a diagnosis on account of the language barrier half the time, let alone the lack of Jeep workshops.

Thanks in advance. This forum has saved me thousands of dollars, and a lot of headaches.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Update

Don't worry if it was an impossible problem. I took the car to a couple of auto electricians, and then miles to a Jeep dealership to get the error codes, nobody could find what was wrong. I hired a car for three days while they were all trying to figure it out.

Then tonight, I turned down the intensity - the brightness - of the dash lights, because I read another post on here about a Grand Cherokee with the same problem. And lo and behold, that was the solution. I cannot say the problem is altogether fixed, because if I turn them back to maximum intensity it recurs. But anything shy of that and there is nary a worry. Not so far, anyway, and I have been flogging it all over the place, seems to be as good as new again.

If anyone knows more about it, I would be keen to hear.