Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Ac to oba conversion prep

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 08:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1991 Laredo
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L H.O.
Default Ac to oba conversion prep

So I'm planing on converting my old stock ac comp to an oba comp. I've been reading a couple of writeups, but I need a dumbed down version. So, if I'm understanding this correctly, when I supply 12v to my compressor wire, It should turn it on, and start shooting air out of the top port?

So basically, I need a switch to turn the compressor on (12v to the wire, and it's already belt driven) when I want it, and then I can go to a storage tank or more elaborate system?

I'm thinking about throwing one of these on the inlet port:
http://www.harborfreight.com/air-too...nit-95439.html
and then piping some line to the back of the jeep through the firewall under the carpet from the outlet port.

So could I test this by just putting the switch to 12v and seeing if air is blowing out of the output?

Thanks!
Old 10-14-2010, 09:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a autozone breather cone filter, then that goes into a air tool oiler, then to the compressor.

then out of the compressor i have a check valve, then a air hose routed into the interior, and back to the cargo area to my air tank. And right before the air tank, I have a air/oil seperator, pressure switch
Old 10-15-2010, 04:23 AM
Seasoned Member

So the switch goes to your pressure switch and then the electrical connector on the comp?
Old 10-15-2010, 11:41 AM
Seasoned Member

Basically wondering about the electrical side as I haven't seen it covered in any writeups
Old 10-15-2010, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 IL6

First off, that is a good filter, oiler combo. Seperate the 2 and get a breather filter to put in front of the oiler and hook it up to the input. Make sure you have an oiler hooked up before running the compressor for any length of time. Then run the output to your filter and then to your tank and pressure switch and whatever else you want to hook up (I reccomend a safety valve). At the bare minimum you will need the oiler, filter, pressure switch, air tank, hoses, fittings. To test the compressor you need to unhook the wire coming from the compressor and touch it to the positive battery terminal. You should hear a click as the clutch engages. If your engine is running you will feel air coming out of the compressor. For the wiring you need to run from that wire coming off of the compressor to your pressure switch, then to an on off switch, and then to ground. It does not matter if you put the on off switch before or after the pressure switch. The more correct way to do it would be to use a relay so that it can only be on when there is power to the ignition, if you don't do that just remember to turn it off when you are done or it will drain the battery (ask me how I know). If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I recently did this conversion and couldn't be happier.