Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

AC help

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default AC help

97 XJ 4.0 131K miles. I bought 2+ years ago and AC never worked since I have had. I ddecided to figure out why and I have; there is no juice at the power dist box relay. I can pull the relay out and put it back in and it would briefly work. I jumpered it at the relay box and the compressor came on. When I started I had 50lb on both low and hi side. High only went up to about 150-175 max. Low came up to at least 120 (buried the gauge) they appear to be the same pressures. I did try to add a can based on the low "hi" side. I did add it thru the low side not the hi side, duh.

The FSM said possible 1. Slipping belt (no way)
2. orifice tube missing but also says that to replace I have to replace the whole dam liquid side (low) line to replace the orifice tube. That seems like BS. I have replaced orifice tubes before (never before on an XJ though) and they come out of the line w/a pair of needle nose on other cars.
or possibility #3 is a bad compressor which I of course would have to replace.
How can I tell between either the orifice tube or the compressor being bad?
Old 06-28-2012, 11:33 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: Several

Compressor's working - else the pressure's would not have come up.
Don't add any more - probably too full now.
The relay kicks off because pressures are going too high. There should be a major pressure difference - lo to hi.

You have a major restriction, quite likely the orifice.

This one is different than the ones you did before, you had the small orifice that drops in. This one has the block and copper sense line. Look at the new part, you'll see what it looks like.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by rrich
Compressor's working - else the pressure's would not have come up.
Don't add any more - probably too full now.
The relay kicks off because pressures are going too high. There should be a major pressure difference - lo to hi.

You have a major restriction, quite likely the orifice.

This one is different than the ones you did before, you had the small orifice that drops in. This one has the block and copper sense line. Look at the new part, you'll see what it looks like.
so then I will hafta replace the whole dam line?
Old 06-29-2012, 06:39 PM

well its up to its old driveability tricks again I guess it dont deserve to have working AC if it wont run right lately it has been eating downstream O2 sensors.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

The whole liquid line has to be replaced in order to replace the orifice tube, sucks, I know.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Bustedback
The whole liquid line has to be replaced in order to replace the orifice tube, sucks, I know.
about how much? $$$$$ and dealer only or does someone like 4-seasons make one?
Old 06-30-2012, 08:46 PM

ok I found a couple online for $30-some thing not bad; but I did see several vendors that sell just the tube for anywhere from $2 to $8.... that claim to fit this XJ.... I hate changing an assembly for one small part....

but why would the AC comp not kick in unless I remove the relay and just touch the relay contacts to those in the box? and then only for a second. When I got my gauge readings, I had a jumper made from a paperclip in where the relay is supposed to go.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:36 PM
CF Veteran

Get the whole line, you can't remove the tube from the old one. I've tried and ended up just breaking the tube inside the line.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:02 PM

If you go to Rock Auto's web site and search for the orifice tube for your year+model it shows "Four Seasons A/C orifice tube" and it shows a pic of just the tube, however when you add it to your shopping cart the description changes to "Liquid Line w/ Orifice Tube". If you go to Advance Auto's site their description is "Tough One or Factory Air Hose Assembly" and the description states "Material:Aluminum; Rubber", so I think they come together as one unit. I'm gonna find out since I need a new compressor and the Four Seasons, or Denso, or just about any other manuf.'s warranty states you *must* purchase the *related parts* (orifice tube/expansion valve, Receiver Drier / Accumulator) and provide proof of purchase or warranty will not be honored. They also require you provide proof the entire system was properly flushed. Hope this helps

8lugs
Old 07-12-2012, 04:03 PM

I went to Advance and they told me N/A dealer item; well after paying 2-1/2X parts store price for 2 rotors from the dealer specificaly to AVOID buying China $#!t, and still winding up recieving Chinamade rotors across their counter I will get a used one before I give the dealer a dime.
That said, I ordered the line and accumulator from an Ebay supplier; 4 seasons brand; and dammit, if I didnt get Chinamade **** for my American made XJ once AGAIN! I am so freaking tired of being forced to repair my American vehicles with Chinese parts!
I needed wheel cylinders for my 94 Dakota (I have 2 Dakotas BTW) and I specifically requested the "better" grade of parts from Car Quest; pay more and STILL get China. same story the last time I ordered from Rockauto ($600+ Order) select the most expensive well known choice of parts for that application and the closest part to being made in teh USA came from Mexico.... most of the rest was taiwan or china once again.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

.....and to top it off, our 2012 USA Olympic Team uniforms r made in china.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:52 PM
CF Veteran

It costs too much to make anything in the States because of unions and environmental issues. China has none of those issues and the people only make in a year what most Americans make in a month.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

...has a lot to do with our totally unfair to most, but rewarding to a few, tax laws/system. I vote for a "Fair Tax".
Old 08-10-2012, 07:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just wanted to say that you appear to have the high side and low side mixed. High side is the narrow pipe and carries liquid. The low side is after liquid converts to gas and it is from evaporator to the compressor. Without fully understanding how aircondition works, your chances for every learning to help yourself in this area is zero. Not to critisiz you but I am myself having some troubles with my clutch not engaging. As I look for solutions on line I am finding that most poeple are just talking without understanding. For example many think that the presure swith on the accumulator/dryer is the low presure switch but they are wrong. Please take a moment and learn the theroy behind airconditioning and try to fully understand the diagram. I have changed my high presure switch but clutch is not engaging. My mechanic is saying your new advance auto parts switch is bad so I ma getting one from the dealer to see if that would solve my problem. I wish to solve this problem before snow is on the ground.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by Bustedback
It costs too much to make anything in the States because of unions and environmental issues. China has none of those issues and the people only make in a year what most Americans make in a month.
Unions aint got nothing to do with cost of products it greedy co trying to get as much in there pockets as possible