Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

AC Compressor That Ate Itself... kinda

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default AC Compressor That Ate Itself... kinda

So I've had great luck on this forum when it comes to my Cherokee's problems, it seems like everyone has already been through what I've been through no matter the issue. However now after several days of searching I cant find anyone with the same problem.
My AC worked great a little while ago, ice cold, couldn't leave it on full blast in the summer because it made it too cold eventually. Then on a really hot day I went to turn it on and it just blew warm air I also noticed a slightly odd smell like plastic melting. Now when I run the AC and look under the hood the ac compressor clutch doesn't spin ever. Also under the hood I found what looked like black spray paint around the AC compressor pulley, upon further inspection this black stuff is slick and hard which confirms my theory of it melting something. So it looks to me like somehow the pulley has melted or ground down some wire that it came in contact with at some point.

Now my question, has anyone had this happen to them before? Anyone have any ideas how this might have happened(so I can prevent it from happening in the future)? And lastly should I just pull the ac compressor out all the way to get to those wires?
Attached Thumbnails AC Compressor That Ate Itself... kinda-dscf0617.jpg  
Old 08-04-2011, 09:22 PM

It's probably one of two things:

- electrical fault, like a short as you suspect
- your clutch has worn down

Start you engine and have someone cycle the ac on and off whilst you observe the clutch movement. If there is no movement at all, most likely an electrical fault, if you observe some movement (but apparantly not enough to fully engage) you probably have a worn clutch.

Those wires go to the back of your compressor and there should be a connector. Pull it and you can check if you have Voltage there. I know for some of the older Jeeps you can test this with just the ignition on, for others (e.g. my '98) the engine must be turning.

In order to get at those wires you need to get the clutch off. Those wires go straight into the coil. Getting the clutch and pulley off isn't that big a job. I've just done it myself. Search the forum for AC clutch and you'll find lots of advise and experience.

The black spray on the compressor might be misleading. Is it right at the front of the compressor on the top behind the pulley. That could just be the sealant of the coil. When I started having problems with my AC clutch this threw me off a bit as well.

Jeroen
Old 08-05-2011, 11:48 AM

Wow awesome response, thanks man. I'll grab a friend this afternoon and follow your advice then come back here or start taking stuff apart.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:04 AM

I checked out the clutch when clicking the ac on/off and there's no motion in it at all. My next step will be to check the voltages and see what I can tell from that.
About the black spray, what would that mean if the sealant of the coil had been leaking out like that? Does that mean my compressor is FUBAR or is it not that horrible?
Old 08-08-2011, 09:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 5.2

Take it to a shop and have the charged checked. low charge will cause it not to turn on, If the charge is good it could be compressor or low/high prssure switch.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:19 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 98
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Jeroen
It's probably one of two things:

- electrical fault, like a short as you suspect
- your clutch has worn down

Start you engine and have someone cycle the ac on and off whilst you observe the clutch movement. If there is no movement at all, most likely an electrical fault, if you observe some movement (but apparantly not enough to fully engage) you probably have a worn clutch.

Those wires go to the back of your compressor and there should be a connector. Pull it and you can check if you have Voltage there. I know for some of the older Jeeps you can test this with just the ignition on, for others (e.g. my '98) the engine must be turning.

In order to get at those wires you need to get the clutch off. Those wires go straight into the coil. Getting the clutch and pulley off isn't that big a job. I've just done it myself. Search the forum for AC clutch and you'll find lots of advise and experience.

The black spray on the compressor might be misleading. Is it right at the front of the compressor on the top behind the pulley. That could just be the sealant of the coil. When I started having problems with my AC clutch this threw me off a bit as well.

Jeroen
I need a new clutch for my compressor.. Where can I pick this up at?