Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

abs '91 cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Cool abs '91 cherokee

Hello, I'm not really a Jeep Guy, but I'm helping a friend out with his '91 Cherokee. It has a 4.0 engine in it. The story is,, it was running poorly so he took it and had the thing tuned up. Before the tune up the brakes worked fine. when he got the jeep back, it ran much better, and it just needed a general tune up. from that day it has not had any brakes. the pedal is hard but no matter how hard he pushes it, there is hardly any slowing and won't stop.
He never got an ABS or Brake light at all. He told me the brake system was only used two years, '90, '91. I am a disabled mechanic, and have been out of the loop for a while, but this brake system is not what I'm used to seeing. I'm thinking the problem might be something the guy did while tuning it, but not sure what to look for. I searched for a while and did find a write up on how the system works, I did see where it has a pump in the system. I hope you all can help us. thanks
Old 06-14-2012, 03:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Google "chrysler 702 recall". There is a lifetime recall on the Bendix9 ABS system. But it is possible that the connector for the ABS pump was knocked loose, or a fuse may have blown.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

Hopefully can just take it in and get it replaced for because of the recall. They do not cover the accumulator though, so spend the money to replace that if you go that route.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:10 PM

I want to thank you for the comebacks. I'm sure this is going to make by buddy's day. thanks again.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Welcome to CF.
Here's some useful info about the Bendix 9 ABS system: http://www.aa1car.com/library/abs_bendix9.htm
Old 10-28-2012, 12:50 PM

Cool

Well hello again friends. My friend took his jeep to the local dealer and they had it for 3 months. when he finally got it back, he has a mushy pedal, but it does stop now, but not like it should. He has to pump it a little to get anything. The parts they used don't look like the old one. they charged him 180.00 labor and now he has all kinds of electrical gremlins, wipers, heater and turn signals. The emergency brake will not even pull up like it should, actually it won't even move. He talked to them and they said they would fix everything for 500.00 more after they screwed it up. I was wondering if he could reach a tech rep or someone who could help him out. I'm sorry I sent him out there but it might just be a sorry dealer. He drives this jeep in the winter and we are getting snow tuesday so he is frustrated. I appreciate all the help you all have been, but don't know what to tell him. could the whole system be swapped with an earlier jeep??.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

$500 more? To fix things they broke while fixing the brakes they previously broke?
I suspect the last technician who understood the Bendix system probably retired long ago and these guys are muddling their way through a system they have never seen before and don't understand, breaking other things along the way. Probably have to give them another shot at making it right. Not sure if it will do any good. Insist their errors be fixed on THEIR dime though.

Yes, it's a fairly straightforward swap, master cylinder and booster from a non-ABS XJ, but you lose the ABS function. Which honestly is iffy at best with the Bendix system.