Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

99 xj wont start

Old 11-03-2013, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0L
Default 99 xj wont start

Soo I completely washed my jeep, decided to wash the dust off the engine. I started it and noticed the fan wasnt coming on and off every ten seconds like it normally does, didnt think too much of it, but then after idling for ten minutes it just shut off like somene had turned the key off. I tried starting it back up and all lights would come on and would turn over but wont start. I can hear the fuel pump come on and I have fuel pressure. Tested spark and have spark but seems very week. Distributer cap was dry. Thought I smelled something elec burnt when I got in to re-start but I could be mistaken. Im leaning toward the Power Control Module (PCM), because of the fan quiting. Does anyone have any ideas??
Old 11-03-2013, 11:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 296 Likes on 246 Posts
Year: 1997 (RHD)
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 ltr

With the fan not cycling: is it on A/C? If not, the fan just might not cycle simply because of that.
Washing the engine bay, smelling something burned and then a no start with weak spark....sounds like something might have shorted. If you used a pressure washer, you also could have dislodged something, or forced water into something. I know TPS doesnt like any form or moisture.
But if weak spark (white/orange and not the strong blue spark) is present, that might be the first lead to follow and sort out.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0L

Ya my fan always cycles no matter the position of the climate control, not sure why it has done that for years and jeep always ran great soo I guess I never gave it much concern untill it stopped and then the engine died ten minutes later. Im going to test the ignition coil, the crankshaft position sensor, camshaft position sensor tonight when I get home, and Ill test the throttle position sensor too like you mentioned. Ill try to look for shorts while Im at it. Thanks for the advice, let me know if you have any more ideas