Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

99 XJ Trouble Starting/Rough Idle

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default 99 XJ Trouble Starting/Rough Idle

Ahhhhh!! On going problem with my 99 XJ. Just a couple of weeks ago my Jeep starting excellent. First try every time. Gradually it seemed to get worse, until one day I was leaving work and it wouldn't start at all! I did some poking around, nothing worked. Did some forum research, put it in neutral, fired right up. Problem solved, right? First chance I got I pulled my NSS, cleaned it up, re-greased, and re-installed. Problem...still there. Sometimes it will start immediately in Park, sometimes in Neutral, sometimes I have to go back and forth to get it to start, sometimes it just doesn't start. My Jeep also runs less smooth than it should, intermittent sputtering and such. I checked all (I think) of my ground connections, my fuses. I did the Ohm test on my CPS, between lead B & C it read 52k Ohms. Previous posts have stated that you should get an infinite reading there. My next GUESS is to buy a new one and HOPE that works.
I am getting fuel. I can both hear the fuel pump working and smell the excess fuel burning off once it gets started.
Is there a way that I can test my NSS to make sure it isn't dying? What about a different test for my cps? Something more definitive.
Any ideas are greatly appreciated. I am starting to go crazy. Jeep started when I left for lunch, but now I'm stuck in a parking lot trying to get back to work, haha.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

To address the NSS issue. Did you clean and regrease the NSS connector? Do you have back up lights? Are your sure the NSS is in the right position and tight?
Old 07-01-2014, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by EZEARL
To address the NSS issue. Did you clean and regrease the NSS connector? Do you have back up lights? Are your sure the NSS is in the right position and tight?
Sorry for not being detailed enough. After first thinking my problem was the NSS, I cleaned and regreased the NSS components. I however did not grease the connector (and all leads looked clean). It sometimes starts in Park, sometimes starts in Neutral, and my reverse lights work so I think it is in the right position.

Doing this to my NSS did not seem to help nor hinder my Jeep's issue.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:08 AM

Cleaned up the 'ribbon' ground that goes from near the 6th fuel injector to the frame. How could I forget that one? It was pretty dirty at both ends. Quick wire brush and then back together. I've now had about a half a dozen starts with no problem. Still not running right though (sluggish at times, random sputtering). We'll see what happens in the morning.

I'll probably replace the CPS anyway, since I picked one up on the way home today.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:54 AM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Your thread kinda rambles a bit. What exactly is the problem? Intermittent crank-no-start, runs like crap at idle?

So far it sounds like your IAC isn't opening. You ever cleaned the throttle body and tested the TPS? I would not drop the coin on a CPS yet.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 300 Likes on 249 Posts
Year: 1997 (RHD)
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 ltr

Rambles indeed.
I think twdifferent issues
Intermittent no start
Rough running and sputtering (not per se mentioned idle only)

If it starts in neutral and sometimes needs wiggling to start, it could still be your NSS. Hope you didn't grease the little contact with your non-conductive grease, as people seem keen to do, what I've never understood. Around the contacts, yes.
Have you verified it doesn't simply needs adjusting?
Otherwise, you can test your NSS, (do a search on the procedure), but your Ohms might me saying more than words: you should have NO Ohms reading at all, it means there is contact between the two, so I'd say: just replace it.

As for the rough running: you got a new CPS already, so might just put it in there as well..
OEM CPS is most reliable, aftermarkets are not. Just so you know, in case you replace it, because it's the CPS being the issue, and it will leave you thinking that now you replaced it, it could no longer be the issue.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:40 AM
Herp Derp Jerp

Good point about the NSS.

"Crank no start" and "no crank" are very different problems.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:01 PM

Sorry to ramble too much. Just wanted to try to get the details out there.

Anyway, problems:
1) intermittent starting, which I HOPE to have solved by simply cleaning up the one ground wire that I forgot. So far so good. Jeep started first try each time I've started it last night and today.

2) rough idle/intermittent sputter while driving

3) probably related to #2; less power. 'bogged down' while first driving until warmed up

Ummm, gotta go back to work now
Old 07-02-2014, 05:06 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

is #1 crank no start or no crank at all?
Old 07-02-2014, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by salad
is #1 crank no start or no crank at all?
Crank no start. however, since I've cleaned up the ground I have had no starting issues. The rough idle and sputtered driving is still an issue. I'll take a close look at my throttle body this evening.