Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2000 XJ Spits and Spudders at low rpm HELP LOL

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Angry 2000 XJ Spits and Spudders at low rpm HELP LOL

Hey Guys, new to the forum thing but two year XJ owner my first jeep and im hooked for life , Having an issue with My 2000 XJ Classic I cant solve I NEED HELP lol. At low RPMS the thing ***** up and acts like it gonna die in drive, couple pumps of gas or dropping it in neutral in seams to come around for a bit. Only seam to do it when its warmed up. Just wondering what you guys may think me and a buddy did plugs, coil boots, rear O2 sensor, tps was done about a year ago, front O2 sensor is throwing a code and the previous owner hallowed out the cat would this be my issue?? Im at a loss where do I go from here?? Some feed back would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any one have any ideas
Old 07-02-2014, 06:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.o

Just for giggles disconnect batt, unplug front o2 sensor, reconnect and see how it runs. You will still get a cel for the o2, but this might eliminate it as a culprit.

before you do this do you hace a list of codes pxxxx that might help is diagnosis?
Old 07-02-2014, 06:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001, 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Was that TPS a dealer part? The aftermarket stuff doesn't always work out of the box or for very long. Dealer or NAPA Echlin are the only parts I'd use for a TPS unless it was an emergency, like no other place was open.

I just replaced my TPS this week because, when hot, it would cause surging when I took my foot off the gas pedal and also intermittent cutting out. Around town it was fine but after a a while on the highway it would start acting up. O2 are responsible or determining proper fuel/air ratio and determining if emissions are in spec. I would have the codes checked before you spend too much more time on this. Once you know what the codes are you can make more progress with the troubleshooting. Interpret the codes before you start throwing parts at it. For example, if it says all 4 O2 sensors are bad, its probably a wiring issue.

My guess is TPS but that's because some of the other sensors cause stalling and you haven't report that.