Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

99' XJ Power Door Lock Schematic needed.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default 99' XJ Power Door Lock Schematic needed.

Door Locks will not operate.
When I began looking into the issue I found the #15 25a fuse to be missing and thought I had solved the problem. When I installed the fuse I heard an audible click as all the doors locked.
I thought I was lucky but upon trying the buttons nothing happened.
I checked all the fuses with a test light and have power. I checked the #28 25a curcuit breaker/relay on the fuse box by exchanging it with#29
(power seat breaker/relay) as they are the same amperage. The power seat works with either one installed, which leads me to believe that breaker/relay is good.
I have checked the switch itself for continuity as well as the plug where it attaches to the actuator.
I pulled the harness out of the door and through the jamb into the drivers floor area and removed all the tape inspecting it for any signs of damage. No flat spots, pinched wires, splices.
I have checked the blue plug. Pins #7 & #11, lock and unlock respectively, using #8 as a ground. I have power on #11 but nothing on #7. I assume I should have power on both pins.

I have not removed the passenger door panel yet and I can find no other relay for the locks.
I can not find any info on the fender mounted fuse box under the hood. No owners guide came with the XJ.

Today I found some information stating that there is a keyless entry module located in the overhead console which has been known to short out.
Can anyone verify this?
This information also states that Jeep no longer carries the replacement.

If I can not find a solution I am considering installing an aftermarket keyless entry/ alarm but am concerned there might be a conflict of the 2 systems, especially if 1 is shorted.

I am hoping someone can provide a wiring schematic of the lock system with keyless entry so I can continue to troubleshoot this issue.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:32 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Morris 4x4 Center has a good knowledge base that may have what you are looking for.

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowled...ex.htm#service
Old 01-07-2013, 08:09 AM

Year: 1999 Jeep Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Did you resolve your issue? I am having issues with my power door locks. As in they ain't working.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/ho...146237/index8/