Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

99 XJ Computer/ECU reset

Old 08-01-2016, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default 99 XJ Computer/ECU reset

So this morning I reset my computer because I just replaced the O2 and the TPS sensor.

Method of resetting:
1. Disconnect the battery by removing the positive battery cable. Remember, the positive battery cable.

2. Ground the positive cable to the negative cable for 30 seconds to erase the electric charge in the capacitors.

3. Reconnect the positive cable to the battery.

4. Turn the key to on but do not start.

5. Turn on head lights

6. Turn off head lights

7. Turn off car

So after doing this I went to try to crank/start my car but it only turned on the battery.

(When I turn the key no matter how hard it only turns on the battery)

So then I waited about 5 minutes and tried to start it again and it didn't start (only turned the battery on). But the odometer was flashing and so were the front hazards

Any help on what to do/ if this is normal

Thanks!
Old 08-01-2016, 01:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Battery cable connectors R&R protocol is to remove the battery NEG connector first, then the POS connector. Going back on, the POS connector is installed then the NEG cable.

I'm not a big supporter of the PCM adaptive memory reset hocus pocus. Especially the headlights business. That does nothing.

You may have smoked your PCM.

Remove the battery NEG post connector and let it set for 5 minutes or so and see if it regains its memory.

When you say it only turns on the battery what do you mean? When you turn the key to ON, before cranking the engine what do you see? Does the voltmeter read around 12 volts, and does the gas gauge read?

The Odometer flashing is not good juju.

You may have blown a fuse, or fuses. Remove and inspect each fuse in the PDC and the JB fuse panel in the passenger footwell.
The following users liked this post:
6hwy6xj6 (01-26-2023)
Old 08-01-2016, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by CCKen
Battery cable connectors R&R protocol is to remove the battery NEG connector first, then the POS connector. Going back on, the POS connector is installed then the NEG cable.

I'm not a big supporter of the PCM adaptive memory reset hocus pocus. Especially the headlights business. That does nothing.

You may have smoked your PCM.

Remove the battery NEG post connector and let it set for 5 minutes or so and see if it regains its memory.

When you say it only turns on the battery what do you mean? When you turn the key to ON, before cranking the engine what do you see? Does the voltmeter read around 12 volts, and does the gas gauge read?

The Odometer flashing is not good juju.

You may have blown a fuse, or fuses. Remove and inspect each fuse in the PDC and the JB fuse panel in the passenger footwell.
When Turing the key, the mode where the you can listen to the radio and roll down windows etc. is what I mean by only turning on the battery.

When that mode comes on all my gauges read normal. My battery reads 12 volts. (I tested the battery with a voltmeter and it reads fine)

How would I replace the pcm?
Old 08-01-2016, 02:04 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by JackMcD
When Turing the key, the mode where the you can listen to the radio and roll down windows etc. is what I mean by only turning on the battery.

When that mode comes on all my gauges read normal. My battery reads 12 volts. (I tested the battery with a voltmeter and it reads fine)

How would I replace the pcm?

I take it you mean to the ON position (see pic).

Check the fuses as I described above and try resetting the PCM as I described above.

The last thing you want to do is replace the PCM at this point. Do the simple stuff first.

Name:  IgnSwitchPositons.jpg
Views: 2615
Size:  9.5 KB
Old 08-01-2016, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by CCKen
I take it you mean to the ON position (see pic).

Check the fuses as I described above and try resetting the PCM as I described above.

The last thing you want to do is replace the PCM at this point. Do the simple stuff first.

Yea that's what I mean. The car turns on but does not start

I did what you said and disconnected the neg for 5 minutes and nothing changed

I am checking for fuses now. Which ones do you recommend me checking?

Update: I checked all fuses related to the starter/ the car starting and they all tested normal. Any other suggestions?

Last edited by JackMcD; 08-01-2016 at 03:04 PM.
Old 08-01-2016, 04:04 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by JackMcD
Yea that's what I mean. The car turns on but does not start

I did what you said and disconnected the neg for 5 minutes and nothing changed

I am checking for fuses now. Which ones do you recommend me checking?

Update: I checked all fuses related to the starter/ the car starting and they all tested normal. Any other suggestions?

Check all the fuses in the PDC and the JB. Don't try and find a shortcut at this point otherwise this thread will turn into a epic question/response nightmare.