Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

99 XJ -- Alarm and amplifier location recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 07:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default 99 XJ -- Alarm and amplifier location recommendations

Greetings all,

I'm looking for recommendations on good locations (and locations to stay away from) to mount an external audio amplifier and a keyless entry/alarm system in a 99 XJ. I'm thinking under one of the front seats for the amplifier but I'd like to avoid drilling into the floorpan if at all possible.

Pointers on how to get the power cable from the battery into the passenger compartment also appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff
99 Cherokee
and a bunch of other Mopars
Old 02-14-2010, 08:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.o

I have located my amplifier under the drives side rear seat, and my keyless/remote start module under the dash on the drivers side. As far as your power cable, if you have an auto trans there is a knock out in the firewall where the clutch master would go.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 v8

Originally Posted by jeffhambone
Greetings all,

I'm looking for recommendations on good locations (and locations to stay away from) to mount an external audio amplifier and a keyless entry/alarm system in a 99 XJ. I'm thinking under one of the front seats for the amplifier but I'd like to avoid drilling into the floorpan if at all possible.

Pointers on how to get the power cable from the battery into the passenger compartment also appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff
99 Cherokee
and a bunch of other Mopars
As for an external audio amp, either under the rear seat, or mounted to the back of the rear seat in the hatch area (you can check my pics, im sure i have a few) If you try to put it under the front seats chances are when you adjust the seat, it will squish the amp.......tried that lol!

The keyless entry can be tucked under the dash on the drivers side. Take the plastic cover off (right under the steering wheel, its a big piece) and then remove the metal plate, you should see a good space to put it in (you can hold it down with zip ties)!

As for getting power into the cab, flip your hood, and look on the drivers side firewall, you should see a rubber grommet coming out of there with a harness, cut a few holes in that and run them there.....they come out right down under the dash in the foot area on the drivers side (clear of the pedals) run from there.

If you mount the amp under the seat or on the back of the seat, you can run it under the plastic trim near the doors, all the way back...

Hope that at least gives an idea!
Old 02-14-2010, 10:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 v8

Originally Posted by captainwoot
I have located my amplifier under the drives side rear seat, and my keyless/remote start module under the dash on the drivers side. As far as your power cable, if you have an auto trans there is a knock out in the firewall where the clutch master would go.
Now that knock out youre talking about, is that above the main harness? Round with an X type mark on it?

If it is, I always wondered what that was....and that would make a decent spot to run wires.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.o

Originally Posted by storm101
Now that knock out youre talking about, is that above the main harness? Round with an X type mark on it?

If it is, I always wondered what that was....and that would make a decent spot to run wires.
yes thats the one
Old 02-28-2010, 08:12 AM

Thanks for the replies. I pulled the driver's knee bolster and was a little shocked at how much room was there (I'm used to working on these AA, G, and J-bodies where everything's crammed under the dash).

I'll take another look at the space under the driver's side rear seat. It looked a little small at first glance. I did find, as storm 101 mentioned, that the amp wouldn't fit under either of the front seats as it wouldn't clear the seat adjustment rails.

Last edited by jeffhambone; 02-28-2010 at 08:17 AM.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:12 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

As for an amp under the back seat is the best place. I would recommend a Zapco Studio 204 or Memphis 2004. Those fit perfectly and don't get hot under there. The sound of the Zapco Studio series is just incredible, the best I have ever heard. They aren't to hard to find on Ebay or Craigslist if you watch for them. Just don't jump on the bandwagon for that Class D crap, they sound horrible.

Old School all the way!
Old 02-28-2010, 04:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I put my amp under the driver's rear seat and ran all the cables under the carpet on the "hump", under the center console, and then through the firewall. Makes it real clean and it's a lot easier than pulling all the plastic panels along the bottom of the doorways. I'd put the alarm inside the lower dash on the drivers side. There's tons of room for it.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:57 PM

OK, gang, this alarm is kicking my butt. I'm having a heck of a time finding a suitable tap point for:

parking light circuit (to flash the parking lights -- should be available at headlamp switch but having a tough time digging it out of the harness)
door pin switch circuit (this should be behind the driver's foot kick panel but I can't pull that off for some reason -- I removed the nut, do I also need to remove the hood latch bracket?)
+12V in start/run (I know I can tap this at the ignition switch but the ckt isn't fused at that point, there's a ckt F78 that seems right but I can't dig it out)

Thanks...