Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

99 cherokee starting running problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 99 cherokee starting running problems

Has anyone has this same issue.. When the jeep is cold it is very hard to start, cranks slow and in order for it to fire you have to give me gas. When it finally starts in keep stalling. The only way for it ro keep running is you have to give me gas. After holding you foot on the gas for a little while it finally will idle and then its fine. The other issue is randomly ill be driving and i hear a clunk and the jeep starts to die/ bog down and lose power. If i floor it then it starts to run fine and then there is no issue. My check engine light is on brcause of the 02 sensor bank 2 after the cat. But i dont think that has to do with this problem. The jeep has had a recent tune up, cap, rotor, plugs and wires. Any suggestions, i was thinking about replacing the fuel filter and i have also already clean the iac value... WHat else do you guys think.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6 Power Tech

def get that o2 sensor changed... it could be a part of the problem also our 99's the fuel filter is just the sock on the pump my 99 has no inline filter,
Old 03-09-2011, 10:55 PM

Engine: 4.0 Inline 6

Yes and no. Our 99's do have a fuel filter other then the screens at the pump. On top of the tank, attached directly above the fuel pump, is the fuel pressure regulator/ fuel filter. Its a combination piece that runs about $100. It sounds like either that or the pump may have issues with keeping the fuel rail pressurized when the jeeps off. You should check under your jeep and make sure you're not externally leaking fuel. If you're not, Then check the pressure at the rail on top of the motor. I'm not sure the exact specs for what the pressure should be but I'm sure theres another forum that has it or someone will chime in with the answer. I would probably go ahead and change that O2 sensor though. A misread from that sensor can cause all kinds of issues.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Engine: 4.0

A marginal battery can create stalling and having to "tip in" the throttle to keep it going. Quite common actually.

Yes, there are other possibilities, but you should LOAD TEST your battery first. Any parts store will do this for you for free. Load testing is the only accurate way of determining battery condition.