Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

'99 Cherokee fuel filter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 06:30 PM
N8N

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default '99 Cherokee fuel filter?

Hi all,

was putting together a list of post-purchase maintenance items to do so I could look up pricing online and also at my FLAPS... I'm stuck on "fuel filter." It's $70 (?!?!?!?) at Quadratech, $42 at Rockauto, can't get a part number from the Wix web site or NAPA. What's the deal, is this some special filter made from unobtanium? (NB: I don't have a manual yet, nor have I actually picked up the vehicle, so I can't look at it.)

Also, give me a reality check on the fluids if you don't mind - Redline Heavy Shockproof for the axles, Redline D4 ATF for the transmission (AW4) and transfer case (NP231) and whatever I can find for a truck-type (e.g. Rotella, Delvac, etc.) oil in xW30 synthetic for the engine. I'll flush the brakes as well, I have a power bleeder. What does the power steering use, ATF or power steering fluid?

Finally, I see the cool "lube locker" reusable diff gaskets, I think I definitely want those, is there anything similar for the trans pan or am I stuck using the old cork/paper stuff and hoping it doesn't leak too badly?

Cool story bro time - this AM I got online to see if there was a Redline dealer anywhere near me (the place I used to buy the stuff closed) and I found that there's a speed shop about a quarter mile from my office, but I never noticed it because it's kind of hidden. So I go check it out, not expecting it to be open today, but it was - and here the guy behind the counter drives an XJ and actually had a list of *his* post-purchase maintenance checklist on the computer and ran into the back and printed it out for me. How cool is that?

thanks!
Old 01-02-2012, 06:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts

The fuel filter for your 99 is part of the fuel pump "assembly" located inside of the gas tank. You must lower the tank to access it.

It is not replaced like other fuel filters unless symptoms and or testing point directly to it. So unless you're having issues, forget about it.

And if/when you do have symptoms and need to drop the tank, I generally recommend you replace the entire assembly, which consists of fuel pump, regulator, filter, etc....the whole she-bang. If one part of the assembly fails, the odds are high that other failures are not far behind. And when that time comes, see if you can find a BOSCH assembly; they are the best in the business.

Redline makes great fluids, but there are plenty of others. Amsoil, etc. I use Amsoil synthetics in the diffs and transmission. I use conventional oil in my engines. To each their own. Don't forget about the cooling system! A fresh flush and fill with 50-50 of conventional (green) anti-freeze and a new stat and radiator cap is not a bad idea for a new-to-you vehicle, as well as a close inspection of hoses.

Last edited by tjwalker; 01-02-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:18 AM
N8N

Oh, OK... I was just assuming that there was an inline filter somewhere that ought to be replaced as PM. I was just in the "let's replace all the fluids and filters" mode, no actual problem with vehicle indicating replacement. thanks for the reply
Old 01-03-2012, 08:34 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 98

Originally Posted by N8N
Oh, OK... I was just assuming that there was an inline filter somewhere that ought to be replaced as PM. I was just in the "let's replace all the fluids and filters" mode, no actual problem with vehicle indicating replacement. thanks for the reply
When you replace you fuel pump assemble.. Do urself a favor and save urself some money. Buy Carter!!