Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

98 XJ weird windows

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 06:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 H.O.
Default 98 XJ weird windows

Ok so I checked around on the forums here for fear of asking an already asked question. Here it goes. I have a 98 XJ with power windows. The only way to roll them down is with the driver window controls. example: the front passenger cant roll down the front passenger window. but the driver can. It's like that with all the windows, only the driver controls will work. Now I know what your all thinking. "DUDE UNLOCK THE WINDOWS!" . So with that out of the way because its been tried. Anybody else run into this? I checked the fuses and they are good. the only things I can think of is: 1 the drivers controls are not working properly meaning it's not allowing the other switches to work, bad child window lock switch? or there is a relay in the fuse block thats out and not just a simple fuse. If it does have a relay does anybody have a diagram of the fuse block relays and what they are for? my owners manual and Haynes manual dont even show them. Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance Oh ya.... if this has already been answered and my dumbass missed it; it would be nice if somebody could just post a link, then this thread can be closed/locked.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:14 AM

Year: 1998

My 98 locks when it wants to, I drive a 2000 for work and have the same issue.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Pretty common problem. It is the window lock button on the driver's side control. The button itself fails therefore rendering the other controls useless. Two options- get another drivers's side control or there is a writeup on how to bypass the switch with a jumper wire- I will dig for it. My last trip to the JY, I bought two controllers. The first one I installed is now starting to act up so I may be onto the second one soon. At the JY they cost $9, from the dealership I bet they are close to $100.

HTH

Very Very common problem! Search around the forum for fixes! When it happend to mine i just put a jumper wire from the power wire to the other window power wires (jumping the window lock button). They've worked for 2 years like that now!
Old 03-29-2010, 08:18 AM

Here you go! Try this! It for the Jumper wire.
http://soxja.org/images/pics/Bypass/Bypass.html

Last edited by miglia-spyder; 03-29-2010 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:45 AM

Ok, still looking for the bypass thread, but did find another tidbit. A gentleman on another page found that it stems from a broken solder joint on the printed circuit board.

pics on how to fix

http://www.flickr.com/photos/we3poll...981883/?page=4

You will have to open the pics and read the captions, but a well done job! I am going to try this when I get time.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Sc00ter
Ok, still looking for the bypass thread, but did find another tidbit. A gentleman on another page found that it stems from a broken solder joint on the printed circuit board.

pics on how to fix

http://www.flickr.com/photos/we3pollards/sets/72157617926981883/?page=4

You will have to open the pics and read the captions, but a well done job! I am going to try this when I get time.
This link is the bypass How-to!

Originally Posted by miglia-spyder
Here you go! Try this! It for the Jumper wire.
http://soxja.org/images/pics/Bypass/Bypass.html
Old 03-29-2010, 11:27 AM

There you go! Nicely done miglia-spyder! I opted for the new switch since I did not want to chop up the wiring and I still have ankle biters who reside in the back seat who love to push buttons. Nothing more fun on a road trip- up down up down up down giggle giggle up down up down. The lock is more for sanity than anything else.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:11 PM

SWEET! thanks guys!. I'll check out the write ups I dont have to work 2marow so it will be work on the Jeep day .
Old 03-29-2010, 05:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 99 94
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: I6

Good luck fixing it! My factory one still works
Old 03-29-2010, 05:56 PM

Year: 1999

Do yourself a HUGE favor and pop your door panel off first. Mine did the same thing, thought I would have to jumper it, but when I took the door panel off to replace the door speakers, I found the previous owner had only reconnected one of the two wiring connections inside. Plugged it back in and everything worked like new!

Good luck, I hope your troubles turn out to be simple like mine did.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Autonomous
Do yourself a HUGE favor and pop your door panel off first. Mine did the same thing, thought I would have to jumper it, but when I took the door panel off to replace the door speakers, I found the previous owner had only reconnected one of the two wiring connections inside. Plugged it back in and everything worked like new!

Good luck, I hope your troubles turn out to be simple like mine did.

Ya thats a good idea. Ya never know what the PO's have done. Start simple and go from there. Thanks all for the help. I will update this post when I get it fixed and let ya'll know what the out come was.

Thanks again for the help
Old 03-30-2010, 06:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 v8

I would just like to note that to those of us that have had to do a bypass with the one wire, you can always add a two post toggle into that wire. Voila new lockout switch for almost free.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:07 AM

I have the same issue. Gonna fix mine tonight. I wished someone would have the same type of post for dash lights not working.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:52 AM

For those interested in fixing the controller, I did it last night. In fact after working on the one that was in the car, I tore apart the spare and it had the same issue. Those pictures in that link were on the spot. There is a solder weld that gets weak and just needs to be resoldered. I would add to the commentary if you plan on doing this, you only need to remove the buttons for the door lock, the window lock tab, and the four window buttons. You do not have to mess with the mirror adjustment. I found that a pair of needle nose pliers spreads the force out evenly on the sides of the buttons. They are only covers that are pressed onto a clear plastic tab. If you use a screwdriver instead, it pries the cover up unevenly and they can crack in half (don't ask how I know). Another suggestion is that when you have it open to use a q-tip and some alcohol to clean the connections on the window switches. The driver's side switch gets rather dirty from use. I have some other pics as well if anyone is interested.

Quick Reply: 98 XJ weird windows