Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

98 xj starting/starter issues.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 01:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 98 xj starting/starter issues.

I have a 98 xj and just two days ago all of a sudden the starter went to ****. A friend thought it was the alternator but that's about 6 months old, my battery is a year old. Battery holds a charge and the alternator is working fine. I took the starter in and had it tested and it for sure went to ****. So I bought a rebuilt starter for 60 bucks from auto zone. Popped it in and she started up great! I drove it half way to work, I stopped to get something and it then crapped out again. At work id start it during my breaks and she would start fine. Then I go home, start it again and it has the same problem.

This morning I got down, took it out and made sure everything looked fine and put it back on, I then started it ten times without a problem. At work during my breaks I did the same as yesterday and didn't have a problem, when I went to leave work it wouldn't start. I got home tried to start it a few times and same problem. When I try to start it I can hear the solenoid clicking but I can't hear the gear trying to grab the flywheel. When i do, sometimes I'll hear slight grinding. The starter is mounted correctly and tightly. I'm at a loss for ideas. Ignition switch maybe?

It might also be important to mention last weekend I had to drive through 3 feet deep of water a few times due to flooding In my area.

Any ideas or anybody else have the same problem? How did you fix it?
Old 10-03-2013, 06:33 AM

Year: 1999

check the cable that goes from the battery to the starter real good. make sure there isnt alot of corrosion built up especially inside the protective coating or if the cable is cracked anywhere especially the connectors. also have you swapped around the starter control relay (inside the pdb) just to make sure the relay wasnt weak.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:27 PM

Year: 1998

Originally Posted by bamasteeler
check the cable that goes from the battery to the starter real good. make sure there isnt alot of corrosion built up especially inside the protective coating or if the cable is cracked anywhere especially the connectors. also have you swapped around the starter control relay (inside the pdb) just to make sure the relay wasnt weak.
I have done both. The cable from the battery to the starter looks fine, I was thinking of taking a wire brush to the connector end that hooks up to the starter. I also swapped around relays, swapped the one for the fuel pump and the starter and both seemed to work fine.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1990

Originally Posted by zombietanker1989

I have done both. The cable from the battery to the starter looks fine, I was thinking of taking a wire brush to the connector end that hooks up to the starter. I also swapped around relays, swapped the one for the fuel pump and the starter and both seemed to work fine.
Do you have any fluid leaks from the motor by chance: and secondly its not a power issue, its a grounding issue. Your getting 12v or whatever but your amperage is probably just miniscule enough to allow voltage. I'd pull the starter, scrape it and the tranny mounting area with a wire brush and also refresh the motor ground