Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

98 xj start-no start, ghost in the machine

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Thumbs down 98 xj start-no start, ghost in the machine

I have a 98 xj with 4.0 and automatic. Having trouble diagnosing starter-ignition issues. All winter, I've sometimes had to move the gear shift from park to neutral to start it, so I've assumed the neutral safety switch needs changed or adjusted. Been puttin it off cause winters been a real bear and I don't have a garage, (oh don't get me started!). Yesterday I go to start it and turn the key and nothing. Play with the shift and still nothin. Now I'm wondering if the ignition is the problem, or part of the problem. So I turn on the key and jump wire battery pos to starter cylanoid, and starter turns. But it doesn't engage the flywheel, just spins freely. Now I'm wondering if starter might be the problem, or if this jeep has some feature where bendix in starter won't fly out unless power is turned on at ignition. Yeah, I know, that's just crazy talk, but I was gettin desperate here, ok? Anyway, pulled my wj up and got it ready to drive to work today, and for the heck of it, tried to start the xj, and wouldn't ya know it, started right up. Turned it off and on 3 times, fired up every time. Still gonna drive the wj till I figure this out, but now I'm really wondering where to start. Anybody have any ideas?
Old 03-07-2011, 10:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6

Have you replaced your NSS yet? That's prolly it. Sound just like mine, it would start sometimes, and sometimes it didn't.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L

Originally Posted by paulcnc44
I have a 98 xj with 4.0 and automatic. Having trouble diagnosing starter-ignition issues. All winter, I've sometimes had to move the gear shift from park to neutral to start it, so I've assumed the neutral safety switch needs changed or adjusted. Been puttin it off cause winters been a real bear and I don't have a garage, (oh don't get me started!). Yesterday I go to start it and turn the key and nothing. Play with the shift and still nothin. Now I'm wondering if the ignition is the problem, or part of the problem. So I turn on the key and jump wire battery pos to starter cylanoid, and starter turns. But it doesn't engage the flywheel, just spins freely. Now I'm wondering if starter might be the problem, or if this jeep has some feature where bendix in starter won't fly out unless power is turned on at ignition. Yeah, I know, that's just crazy talk, but I was gettin desperate here, ok? Anyway, pulled my wj up and got it ready to drive to work today, and for the heck of it, tried to start the xj, and wouldn't ya know it, started right up. Turned it off and on 3 times, fired up every time. Still gonna drive the wj till I figure this out, but now I'm really wondering where to start. Anybody have any ideas?
Get the XJ back to the point where there's no start then jumper the NSS connector for a test-only setup. If, after multiple successful starts, the little bugger starts every time then you'll know for certain that your NSS has finally STB.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:03 AM

Cool thanks for nss tip

I was wavering on the nss, cause of the wierd starter test results, but after you guy's chimin in, I'm definitely replacin it. I know it should have been a nobrainer, haven't changed one in a while, but remember they were always pretty easy. Hope they still are. I'll let ya know how it does. Probably do it this weekend. Thanks guys.

Originally Posted by Cherryokee
Get the XJ back to the point where there's no start then jumper the NSS connector for a test-only setup. If, after multiple successful starts, the little bugger starts every time then you'll know for certain that your NSS has finally STB.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:25 PM

If you are gonna replace it they are kinda pricey. You can recondition your existing NSS and it shoud work again. The old dielectric grease inside the switch gets gummy and won't allow the contacts to touch. Just clean it out. Brighten up the contacts with some emory cloth. Re-grease and you're all set. It might take you an hour.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Sounds like you may have TWO problems.

1. NSS (replace OR refurbish). Link to refurbishing below. Not too bad of a job to consider..

http://bc4x4.com/tech/2010/jeep-neut...ty-switch-nss/

2. A flaky starter that doesn't engage every time (replace starter)
Old 03-08-2011, 08:37 AM

Smile great link

Originally Posted by tjwalker
Sounds like you may have TWO problems.

1. NSS (replace OR refurbish). Link to refurbishing below. Not too bad of a job to consider..

http://bc4x4.com/tech/2010/jeep-neut...ty-switch-nss/

2. A flaky starter that doesn't engage every time (replace starter)
thanks, I got your link at a great time. I had just started pricing nss's at various sites and it wasn't looking too good. This looks like a good weekend project. I'm gonna try just this first, and then see how the starting condition acts before moving on to the starter. Thanks for a great link!