Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

98 XJ Classic - Fuel pump ADVICE NEEDED

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default 98 XJ Classic - Fuel pump ADVICE NEEDED

Help! I'm planning a road trip and I was told that the OEM Fuel Pumps in these Cherokees tend to fail at between 100K-120K. Since I'm at 115K I think I will have this done before I leave-- I dont want to be stranded. Everything else I've been on top of such as cooling system, suspension, tune-up, etc. Overall this car runs very sweet.

My mechanic told me to purchase the part I want and he can install it for labor. So I'm looking online for the part and I notice there is a wide variety of kinds and prices. Some specify for "gas F-I", some don't.

1. How would I be able to tell which one is right for my Jeep?
2. Are all 98 Classic 6-cly's fuel-injected? If not, is there some easy way I have of telling whether mine is one or the other? (this is probably a really really dumb question...)
3. Has anyone else here had this done and if so any advice on what to buy for this job would be greatly appreciated. I plan to have the mechanic do the actual work, but I want to make sure I provide him with all the parts to complete the job.

Thanks!
Old 07-30-2009, 11:38 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I just replaced the fuel pump in my 99. It stalled a few times like it ran out of fuel then started up again. It ran for 1 day with the new pump and is now not running at all. It has pressure but seems low. The moral of the story for me seems to be buy the assembly, and a quality one at that, now it seems like I will have to do it again
Old 07-30-2009, 11:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

Yes, your XJ is fuel injected.

If you are going to replace the pump, get an original from Jeep.

Most times, the tank has to be dropped to properly install the pump.

I would leave it alone until it gives an indication it is failing. 115K is not excessive miles.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:52 AM

There does seem to be a lot of different after-market manufacturers of these things. And in the photos of the product, they all dont even look the same. The prices range from $70 to $350.... I mean its just insane.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 89

I would replace it with one that has a good reputation,like bosch,carter,etc. Make sure you get a new suction screen.
You might ask the store you go to if they have any advise,they know if a certain brand has issues.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Firestorm500
Yes, your XJ is fuel injected.

If you are going to replace the pump, get an original from Jeep.

Most times, the tank has to be dropped to properly install the pump.

I would leave it alone until it gives an indication it is failing. 115K is not excessive miles.
Thanks. I will see if Jeep offers the entire assembly as an OEM kit. I normally would agree that I should't "fix what aint broke" but we're planning a 1500 mile drive followed by camping in some remote areas of Tennessee/Smoky Mountains where calling a tow would be near impossible. I dont mind investing in some preventative maintenance in the interests of a worry-free trip.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Derrtydave
Help! I'm planning a road trip and I was told that the OEM Fuel Pumps in these Cherokees tend to fail at between 100K-120K. Since I'm at 115K I think I will have this done before I leave-- I dont want to be stranded. Everything else I've been on top of such as cooling system, suspension, tune-up, etc. Overall this car runs very sweet.

My mechanic told me to purchase the part I want and he can install it for labor. So I'm looking online for the part and I notice there is a wide variety of kinds and prices. Some specify for "gas F-I", some don't.

1. How would I be able to tell which one is right for my Jeep?
2. Are all 98 Classic 6-cly's fuel-injected? If not, is there some easy way I have of telling whether mine is one or the other? (this is probably a really really dumb question...)
3. Has anyone else here had this done and if so any advice on what to buy for this job would be greatly appreciated. I plan to have the mechanic do the actual work, but I want to make sure I provide him with all the parts to complete the job.

Thanks!
I just did a complete tune up on mine and the only thing I didn't replace was the fuel filter. I ordered it since it's not a common filter. It is actually attached to the pressure regulator. The pump, filter, and regulator sit on top of the tank so the tank has to be dropped to be able to get to it. From experience, fuel pumps usually last forever unless the filter is really clogged up and puts a strain on the pump itself.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:14 PM

Yep... Ive heard it;s on top of the gas tank, which is why I'm letting the mechanic deal with it.

Funny story... My "gosh arent I clever" uncle has a YJ (same deal- tank needs to be dropped) and he actually cut a small access hole into the cargo area floor so he could reach down and change the fuel pump without having to remove the tank, haha. He insists that the Jeep designers were smoking crack not to have done the same thing, maybe put a little panel cover on the hole. Of course, now he has a permanent hole in his cargo area.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by al2ride
I ordered it since it's not a common filter. It is actually attached to the pressure regulator. The pump, filter, and regulator sit on top of the tank so the tank has to be dropped to be able to get to it.
So if I were to purchase the Assembly kit, it would contain these 3 items plus any gaskets, screens, etc.?

My 2nd option was to order the part and take with, so if I broke down en route I wouldnt have to wait for a mechanic to find the part.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 89

Yep... Ive heard it;s on top of the gas tank, which is why I'm letting the mechanic deal with it.

Funny story... My "gosh arent I clever" uncle has a YJ (same deal- tank needs to be dropped) and he actually cut a small access hole into the cargo area floor so he could reach down and change the fuel pump without having to remove the tank, haha. He insists that the Jeep designers were smoking crack not to have done the same thing, maybe put a little panel cover on the hole. Of course, now he has a permanent hole in his cargo area.
That is a good idea,a hole is no big deal just put some sheet metal over it, mine is an 89,the fuel pump is easy to get to,takes about an hour to change.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

He insists that the Jeep designers were smoking crack not to have done the same thing, maybe put a little panel cover on the hole. Of course, now he has a permanent hole in his cargo area.

Wait a minute....HE says THEY were smoking crack???????????
Old 07-30-2009, 01:56 PM

I had an old porsche once and the same deal, except in order to get to drop the tank you had to drop the entire rear end, which had part of the tranny in it...I ended up cutting the floor and resealing it after the fact.