Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

98 XJ Beeper fix

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 03:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default 98 XJ Beeper fix

The beeper on my 98 Cherokee started beeping when the door was open even without the key in the ignition. I read all the posts I could find, but they all said the beeper was attached to the fuse box on the left side of the steering column. Not true on my 98. After a little research and taking the dash apart piece by piece, I found that if is on the back of the instrument cluster. Its a about the size of a quarter in diameter and 1/2" thick, on the right side of the cluster (as you face the back of the cluster).
I had an old instrument cluster (has idiot lights) in the garage, so I tore it apart and found that if you use a soldering gun to head the 2 pins up on the board and use a small flat screw driver to pry with on the other side, it will pop right off. I tested the board in the jeep before attempting on the good cluster and it worked like a champ.
Next I reworked the good cluster, put everything together and everything works the way I wanted it.
I took a bunch of pictures as I when along, but couldn't figure out how to load them. I'll try again if someone wants the.
Old 10-16-2015, 03:40 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Are the pics on your computer or phone? Click the insert image icon (looks like a little picture of mountains), and then click "Browse Your Device" when the window pops up. Then just find the pics where you saved them, it will upload them and then click insert.

Here's the more detailed writeup with pics: How to upload pics