Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

98 Sport, hit the key, click.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default 98 Sport, hit the key, click.....

Couple weeks back, I pressure washed the outside, and undercarriage of my 98 Sport (4.0, five speed), and when I tried to start it, got a loud click under the hood, then the power died, gauges, lights, everything. After perhaps thirty seconds or so, it powered back up, but when I put the key in the start position, it did it again, AND, was draining the battery FAST.
With the battery charged, it would start, occasionally, it will reliably start with a jump, or if I put the key to run, then push it or pull it, it'll start within a foot or two, but won't idle until the battery gets enough juice back in it for the idle to come up and stay.
Put a spanking new battery in it, and it worked great for one afternoon, and started giving the same problem.
Pulled the starter, had it checked out, thinking perhaps that the solenoid was going out, but it checked out great. Cleaned the exterior, especially around the electrical connections, with brake cleaner, as well as the mounting pad, and got great continuity between the starter and engine block.
The clicking sound seems to be coming from a black plastic distribution box on the passenger side inner fender well. Is it possible to swap those solenoids around to see if my "starter" solenoid has gone south?
I really like this little rig, but the other day, after stranding me in the sage brush and lava rocks, it wouldn't start until I pointed the old .30-06 at the radiator and threatened it!!!! Next time, I'll probably pull the trigger!
Old 10-17-2011, 01:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997 & 1998
Engine: 4.0

The black box is your power distribution center. Your main maxi fuses, other smaller ones and relays are housed there. If I were to guess based on this being the problem area, I'd say that you have an issue with at least one of the plug in relays housed there. If one (or more) is stuck closed, you could have a constant drain which will kill the battery. Unplug them and see what the contacts look like. If they were bridged by water getting into the box, then this could be the issue also. Make sure the contacts are dry and corrosion free. If you unplug any of them and they come out wet, take them all out and use a hair dryer to dry the box out. Normally, water doesn't get in there from the road, but if you got a good hit on it with a pressure washer inadvertently, this could be the issue.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 HO

Thanks a ton!
I did pull some of the fuses out, they all looked good, and the relays, as well, and didn't notice anything, but there did seem to be some condensation on the inside surface of the lid. I'll pull the batt cables, and disassemble the box to see what I've got going on inside there. When I cleaned it with the pressure washer, I spent a lot of time on the wheelwells, and components, as I'm getting ready to replace the shocks and check the steering components. As you likely are aware, there are several holes, and plenty of places for high pressure water to invade the engine compartment in that area. Lesson learned.....