Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

98 Cherokee Sport, some issues, any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L
Default 98 Cherokee Sport, some issues, any ideas?

Hi there. I'm new here (there's a thread in the Intro section), and I just bought a 98 Cherokee w/ 123k on it last Friday. When I got her, she didn't have any issues that I could spot, nor any my brother who is a mechanic saw either, even after climbing under the Jeep and checking it out top and bottom (no lift, no jack, but it was daylight, if that matters).

Anywho, so here's a few things.

Test drove her, nothing was amiss. Drove her home about 45 mins on the highway. No issues.

Started her two days later, check engine light is on (sometimes! Sometimes it's not), and the gauge cluster recently started dropping as if there's no connection, all the gauges die until I turn the lights on/off or flick the directional. The directional seems to be the most consistent in making it work.

So I filled her up for the first time today...and she started leaking gas from the TOP of the gas tank. She has a plastic tank, if that helps.

I'm thinking it's a seal that maybe needs replacing? When I got her she had 1/4 tank, and didn't start leaking at the pump until she was at the top. She still has a "full" tank, so she hasn't leaked that much at all. My friend was with me outside the vehicle and is the one who noticed the leak and when it started.

Also, ran the code on the CE light and came up with P0445 (EVAP issue), pretty sure that it's whatever is wrong with the gas tank/connection/seal/whatever it might be. Has anyone had experience with a leaky seal on the top of the tank, or replacing a fuel line that maybe is leaking? And how much work/how much cost it will be to fix it?

I need to get her inspected before the week is up, so I need to fix these things ASAP, but I figured I could do some research while I work on getting my gas tank back to nearly empty. At $70 to fill it, it's not going to be pretty, but at least now I know I have a problem!

Thanks for your time and advice, it's appreciated!
Old 05-06-2011, 10:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

It could be the seal around your fuel pump/sending unit leaking, or the rollover valve on top of the tank.
P0445
Evaporative Emission Control System Purge Control Valve Circuit Shorted
That could be either: a vacuum line is loose/broken; the connector to the solenoid is loose/corroded; a broken/shorted wire leading to the purge solenoid; a bad solenoid.