Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

98 Cherokee electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 98 Cherokee electrical issues

So I have a 98 cherokee and its been a nice little ride but one day I got in it, turned the key, and nothing. Wouldn't turn over or anything. So I brought it home put it on the charger and it would turn over but not crank. Also the fuel guage and one other gauge if I remember correctly wouldnt work and it had no spark or fuel pressure. So I did some reading and everyone said cam pos sensor and crank pos sensor. Replaced both, still just turned over and wouldnt start. So I replaced the computer and BAM it runs! but none of the gauges work.. and the ac compressor kicks on and off but only when the switch for the ac is turned off. the AC doesnt work at all with the ac switch turned on. So I'm getting pretty fed up with this thing so do you guys have any suggestions on how to fix this thing?
Old 05-23-2015, 10:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Nonturbo
So I have a 98 cherokee and its been a nice little ride but one day I got in it, turned the key, and nothing. Wouldn't turn over or anything. So I brought it home put it on the charger and it would turn over but not crank. Also the fuel guage and one other gauge if I remember correctly wouldnt work and it had no spark or fuel pressure. So I did some reading and everyone said cam pos sensor and crank pos sensor. Replaced both, still just turned over and wouldnt start. So I replaced the computer and BAM it runs! but none of the gauges work.. and the ac compressor kicks on and off but only when the switch for the ac is turned off. the AC doesnt work at all with the ac switch turned on. So I'm getting pretty fed up with this thing so do you guys have any suggestions on how to fix this thing?

Does the part number on the side of the replacement PCM match the part number of the one you removed.

PCM's are year sensitive.
Old 05-23-2015, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by CCKen
Does the part number on the side of the replacement PCM match the part number of the one you removed.

PCM's are year sensitive.
It should be Correct yes but is there a list of what part numbers are for each year?
Old 05-23-2015, 02:45 PM
CF Veteran

It should be Correct yes but is there a list of what part numbers are for each year?

Need some specs on your Jeep. Engine. Auto or manual trans., California Emissions or Federal Emissions.

A '98 with 4.0, auto transmission, Federal Emissions, the part number is 56041 534AB

4.0, auto trans, California Emissions the part number is 56041 537AB

The decal on the side of the PCM gives the part number.
Old 05-23-2015, 03:14 PM

I have a reman pcm. so I can't find the number on the side of it anywhere. Only number i can find is 791199 And spe13
Old 05-23-2015, 03:22 PM

Also it's a 98 4.0 with the automatic. When I turn the key the oil pressure moves to the zero position but never moves again. The odometer shows the miles but isn't counting up anymore
Old 05-23-2015, 05:06 PM
CF Veteran

I have a reman pcm. so I can't find the number on the side of it anywhere. Only number i can find is 791199 And spe13

That looks like a Motorola part number.

Go back to the vendor where you bought the PCM and get the Chrysler part number. If they don't know, or refuse to give it to you, send it back.