Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

98 Cherokee 4.0 Stalled/No Start Issue Help (Super beginner)

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2022, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Unhappy 98 Cherokee 4.0 Stalled/No Start Issue Help (Super beginner)

Hello,
I want to first start by saying I am new to the forum (so please let me know if I posted this thread in the wrong spot).
I have a 1998 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 and lately everything has been performing well on it...until this weekend. I took it out for about 2 miles, and when sitting idle at a stop light it stalled out and would not restart. Gauges appeared fine, but it was a hot day (over 100 in desert heat), I had a full tank of gas, and all my fluid levels looked normal. I tried to give it a jump but still had no luck with it starting, my fuses all seem okay as well. When I turn the key to try to start her up, all my electrical components turn on (radio, lights work, etc..) and function properly. I also hear the fan kick on, but the car itself will not turn over to start the engine. In addition, the gauges won't sweep, and after about 20 seconds I get a "no bus" message where the milage is displayed and a CEL. I used a code reader to check and it shot me a P1694. I did some digging in a few places and many are saying Crankshaft Position Sensor. Do you guys think this sounds about right? If there are any ideas of what may be going on here, I would appreciate any help! I am not very great mechanically, this is my first car and I just needed a nudge in the right direction.

Thanks!