Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

'97 XJ Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default '97 XJ Won't Start

Hi Guys, I'm a long time lurker, first time poster and mostly giant newb looking for help.

Last couple weeks the XJ has been taking longer cranking to start after being left off 5+ hours, the rest of the time is fine as long as it's not too extended of a period left off. One morning just wouldn't start at all. Later on in the day I was able to finally get it started however it required cranking it for a good 15 minutes, and when it finally started it idled extremely rough, almost violently and acceleration yielded belt screaming. Slight acceleration afterwards would get it to idle a bit more normally without belt screaming.

I could drive it around, albeit it was rougher than normal and felt underpowered. When shut-off, would restart again fine several times with a few minutes waiting intervals, but would not start again several hours later.

I am not hugely knowledgeable, and this XJ is my learning project but I have tried a few things I've noticed from lurking in similar threads.

I can hear the fuel pump going, and when cranking can smell the gas stinking up the joint, so it doesn't seem like it's a fuel issue.

I replaced the plugs and wires yesterday with no change. It's possible it could have restarted by letting it crank again for 15 minutes, but it was so violent last time, It doesn't seem like a good idea.

Is it the timing? CPS?

Any help / guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:00 PM
Registered Users

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by thewerd
Hi Guys, I'm a long time lurker, first time poster and mostly giant newb looking for help.

Last couple weeks the XJ has been taking longer cranking to start after being left off 5+ hours, the rest of the time is fine as long as it's not too extended of a period left off. One morning just wouldn't start at all. Later on in the day I was able to finally get it started however it required cranking it for a good 15 minutes, and when it finally started it idled extremely rough, almost violently and acceleration yielded belt screaming. Slight acceleration afterwards would get it to idle a bit more normally without belt screaming.

I could drive it around, albeit it was rougher than normal and felt underpowered. When shut-off, would restart again fine several times with a few minutes waiting intervals, but would not start again several hours later.

I am not hugely knowledgeable, and this XJ is my learning project but I have tried a few things I've noticed from lurking in similar threads.

I can hear the fuel pump going, and when cranking can smell the gas stinking up the joint, so it doesn't seem like it's a fuel issue.

I replaced the plugs and wires yesterday with no change. It's possible it could have restarted by letting it crank again for 15 minutes, but it was so violent last time, It doesn't seem like a good idea.

Is it the timing? CPS?

Any help / guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
tighten that belt to start
Old 09-06-2009, 10:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 89

cps can cause this as well as cam position sensor,distributor,your fuel pump maybe running but it is possible it is not pumping like it should.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:04 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1987
Engine: 4cyl

My 87 did that. Is there anything between that and rain or really high humidity? It was a crack in the coil on mine just took the cover off and had someone crank it I could see the spark arcing. Also make sure you are using the proper swear words and threats ("Jeep you can be a beer can tomorrow") usually works for me.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:04 PM

Year: 1999

Once you crank for a while, the engine will get flooded (as I understand it) and it will run pretty rough once it catches because there is too much gas not enough air. However, it should run good after just a few minutes.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:10 AM

It doesn't seem like it is affected by moisture or humidity. It's been pretty hot here lately.

It worked fine right up until a week or so ago.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Check the value (ohms) of the coolant temperature sensor. I'll bet when that when the engine is cold you will see a value equating to about -20 F. Let me know if this helps.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:31 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

You have a very similar problem to my '98 XJ where it just won't crank up until I turn it over for awhile. I tried to cooland temperature sensor, new coil, new fuel pump assembly and nothing helped. I even cleaned out the throttle body really well with no luck. So next i'm doing the CPS but i'm hoping that someone who has experienced this same problem will figure it out before me and then clue me in. But Yea, you need to tighten that belt and try not to over flood your jeep when starting it, that'll just make it worse, and you can risk burning up your starter too. There is a way to test CrankPS and CamPS but you'll need a multimeter and some electrical knowledge. Maybe try and find a good shop (NOT A DEALERSHIP!) that can test the sensors for you.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:44 AM

Thanks for the help guys. I've got some directions to go in now.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:41 AM

Replaced the Cap & Rotor, Ignition Coil, and then finally the CPS.

Started like a champ.

Thanks again.