Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

'97 weird electrical/start problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default '97 weird electrical/start problem

I have a '97 Country (w/4.0).

I tried to start it yesterday and it wouldn't even crank (not even the click of the solenoid). Headlights would not come on either.

I tried today. The headlights came on, but when I tried to start it there was one click (couldn't identify the location) and all power went out (lights, instrument panel, etc.). I left the key in the "run" position and about 10 seconds later all power returned. I tried to start it again, and the same thing happened (click, lost power, power returned after about 10 seconds). This happened 5 times. On the 6th attempt it started right up. It started fine 4 or 5 more times, and I couldn't get it to repeat the problem. But I suspect this problem is not gone for good.

Any thoughts as to what the problem is?

Thanks.
Brett
Old 01-10-2011, 04:36 PM

Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 6

I think that generation Jeep has electrical problems...I have a 96 ZJ and the key ignition broke which allows the key to turn to the acc. setting with the key removed! That bled out the battery....so now I know what to look for. Also, the headlight switch has some sort of problem with the internal circuitry because the lights come on, but the dashboard lights come on very dimmly. After a few minutes of driving, the full dash lights come on. I check for shorts, but the problem is in the switch box....just swapped out the box. That generation Jeep definitely has electric issues.
I think you need to look at the ignition key unit. ( the part that's on the steering column ) The whole unit might need to be replaced.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 98
Engine: 4.0l

Originally Posted by Brett24
I have a '97 Country (w/4.0).

I tried to start it yesterday and it wouldn't even crank (not even the click of the solenoid). Headlights would not come on either.

I tried today. The headlights came on, but when I tried to start it there was one click (couldn't identify the location) and all power went out (lights, instrument panel, etc.). I left the key in the "run" position and about 10 seconds later all power returned. I tried to start it again, and the same thing happened (click, lost power, power returned after about 10 seconds). This happened 5 times. On the 6th attempt it started right up. It started fine 4 or 5 more times, and I couldn't get it to repeat the problem. But I suspect this problem is not gone for good.

Any thoughts as to what the problem is?

Thanks.
Brett
Clean and re-secure the following:

The + and - terminals at the battery

The main grounds from the battery to the engine block and from the engine block to the firewall (the wire on the dipstick tube and the braid from the back of the engine to the firewall)

The connections @ the starter

I like to use an anti-oxidizing compound on the connections to keep them from re-corroding. Look in the electrical aisle at Home Depot / Lowes for something like NoAlOx or Penetrox.

Last edited by bobvalli; 01-10-2011 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:04 PM

Year: 1998

Originally Posted by BlkLarado
I think that generation Jeep has electrical problems...I have a 96 ZJ and the key ignition broke which allows the key to turn to the acc. setting with the key removed! That bled out the battery....so now I know what to look for. Also, the headlight switch has some sort of problem with the internal circuitry because the lights come on, but the dashboard lights come on very dimmly. After a few minutes of driving, the full dash lights come on. I check for shorts, but the problem is in the switch box....just swapped out the box. That generation Jeep definitely has electric issues.
I think you need to look at the ignition key unit. ( the part that's on the steering column ) The whole unit might need to be replaced.
Having a broken ignition switch or light switch doesn't mean that generation has electrical issues. It just means you have a bad part. Electrical or mechanical, something will eventually break.
To the OP, check the cable connections at the battery. Check the overall condition of the cables and the grounds under hood. Also check the condition of the ignition switch, making sure the key is fully inserted before cranking it over.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:35 PM

Default Follow-up -- problem resolved

Thanks for the help. I cleaned the electrical contacts. They didn't need much though. Most were surprisingly clean already. The positive post on the battery needed a little cleaning, but even it wasn't that bad.

But, I did find an obvious problem with the wiring going to the crankshaft sensor. The wires looked as if they had come to rest on the exhaust manifold and melted through. They were bare and corroded in one spot. I replaced that, and (so far) my problem seems to have gone away.

-Brett