Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

97 Jeep Cherokee Steering Box?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 97 Jeep Cherokee Steering Box?

SO, my 97 jeep cherokee sport is having problems! There would be a loud pop whenever I took a right turn, but now it's when I turn left and right, and is sounding worse. I've alright taken apart the axle and replaced both u-joints, and hey, problem still there! So i got a friend to help, and now I realize the noise is coming from the steering box, or at least in that vasinity. Does that mean the gears are stripped and skipping one causing that pop? Or would that be a seal gone bad? I can get a steering box for 65 thankfully, but not sure if i need to replace the whole thing or just a metal/aluminum seal/washer. ALSO, the ujoint that connects the steering column/shaft to the box, how much of a pain in the *** is it to get that removed?
Old 06-23-2011, 07:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L Rebuilt Renix "Low Output" haha

Im Gonna say that the pop might coming from the track bar. How many miles is on the jeep? Ever replaced the track bar? Is the steering loose?

Sent from my iPhone
Old 06-23-2011, 07:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Frame could be cracked.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:45 PM

My jeep has 143000 miiles on it. All I know is that when I'm under it and have someone turn the wheel, it sounds like its coming from the steerbox, or possibly above/behind it. Steering works fine but does have a little play and when turning, I feel some movement/hear clicking that makes it seem as it could be the tie rod, but is most definently not.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:07 AM

Ok and after driving a bit more, when I take a right turn, there's the pop, then as I go to take a left turn, I hear about 4 to 5 clicks, or if its a real hard turn, its another single big pop. Whenever the vehicle is not moving, it will only make the pop once, but no more until driven. If I then turn the car off, try to turn the steering, there's no noise, but when turn back on, it will then make a single pop when turned right. There is about 4 to 5 inches of play in the steering before wheels will move, and if moving left to right over and over in that play zone, I can hear a soft clank/click noise each time. I hope that is enough detail! Lol, its driven me nuts and just want to be sure its the steering box before I spend the money and do the work!
Old 06-24-2011, 07:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Jack up the front, grab each wheel from the side will looking at it from the side and move it back and forth see if there is any play in the steering. Same thing up and down
Old 06-24-2011, 08:30 AM

Trust me, I've done that. While underneath, as I've said, the noise comes from higher up, and sounds as if is coming from the gear box. I've replace both axle ujoints, and checked all other joints. I just don't understand the loud popping noise. I loooove jeeps, but this ones drivin me insane at the moment
Old 06-24-2011, 09:09 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 L

Originally Posted by Jeepmazz
Trust me, I've done that. While underneath, as I've said, the noise comes from higher up, and sounds as if is coming from the gear box. I've replace both axle ujoints, and checked all other joints. I just don't understand the loud popping noise. I loooove jeeps, but this ones drivin me insane at the moment
I had the same same sound from the same place.Thought it as the box or the spacer behind the box turned out to be the track bar mount just needed the bolts tightened
Old 06-24-2011, 09:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by Jeepmazz
Ok and after driving a bit more, when I take a right turn, there's the pop, then as I go to take a left turn, I hear about 4 to 5 clicks, or if its a real hard turn, its another single big pop. Whenever the vehicle is not moving, it will only make the pop once, but no more until driven. If I then turn the car off, try to turn the steering, there's no noise, but when turn back on, it will then make a single pop when turned right. There is about 4 to 5 inches of play in the steering before wheels will move, and if moving left to right over and over in that play zone, I can hear a soft clank/click noise each time. I hope that is enough detail! Lol, its driven me nuts and just want to be sure its the steering box before I spend the money and do the work!
This does sound like a bad steering box. There is a nut on top of the box that you can tighten to tighten up the box. If you go too far it will bind the box but could work. Pulling the box out of the jeep is not bad, easy to open the box up (remove pitman arm and 4 bolts) but putting it back in is a pain.

Originally Posted by Skunkape
I had the same same sound from the same place.Thought it as the box or the spacer behind the box turned out to be the track bar mount just needed the bolts tightened
I would check the track bar bolts too.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:46 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 L

Just read the part about all the play in the steering,sounds like the box and if your gonna take it out do yourself a favor and just get a Durango box,easy swap and there cheap at the JY
Old 06-24-2011, 06:23 PM

Thanks for the help and advice everyone! Ill be sure to check all of that this weekend when I get the chance! I'm hoping it may just be the trackbar mount as u say.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:14 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 98 4.0 I6

yeah I read about durango upgrade and that sounds like the ticket...i am planning to do that to my xj...will that also work with my girls wj.... I believe it should because we got basically the same setup. good luck man...im right there with you with the pops
Old 06-25-2011, 12:40 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 98 4.0 I6

nm..her wj had same powersteering pump but different box
Old 06-30-2011, 07:09 PM

Ok so its most definently the track bar. Finally had time to look at it today. I was just going to get a whole new bar, but then found from good ol' oreilys there's a bushing replacement kit. its about 50 bucks cheaper. Would you all recommend just doing that, as the trackbar itself is not bent, the bushings are all just bad?
Old 07-03-2011, 08:59 AM

Ok everyone, I'm stuck on a situation. The old track bar was impossible to even remove in one piece. The bolt going through the bushing, was frozen to the sleeve, therefor I couldn't get it out of the axle as its between bracket walls. So, had to cut the bar a few inches from the end so I could turn it as much as possible, then cut 3 slices through the round end to remove the rest of the bar. Then, I had to cut 3 slices through the metal edge of the bushing, then I was finally able to see the bolt inside, enough to make 2 cuts through and finally remove! a pain in the rear end.

Now, the problem. The new track bar I got, obviously I had to get a new bolt, so I took it into westlakes who has it all. I tried all 10.9 metric and grade 8 standard bolts through the bushing sleeve. None are a perfectly snug fit. The one I ended up getting, is the correct factory size, is metric, but has a little bit of play. Would it be fine to just use it, or will that little teeny bit of play cause wobble? I've gotta wait until Tuesday to contact our local jeep and find out, but this is much faster as its my only vehicle and gotta get it done soon.

Quick Reply: 97 Jeep Cherokee Steering Box?