Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

97 Cherokee, wont start. Help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default 97 Cherokee, wont start. Help.

This is my first post here. Had a 94 XJ for a few months, got rid of it, now I bought a 97.

Previous owner said it needed a fuel pump, otherwise ran fine before. Was sitting for 6 months until I bought it. Checked pressure valve for fuel, nothing. Replaced fuel filter, now have fuel to the engine. Cranks but wont start. I wasn't getting any spark, and all the symptoms I was having led to crankshaft position sensor from my research. Replaced that, and still cranks but doesn't start. Air filter is clean. Distributor cap/rotor looks good. Im lost as to what to do next. Could someone give me a little advice here?
Old 07-08-2016, 02:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

Hmm. No spark, and no history either...so starting from scratch. Check 12 v to the coil with the key on. Also check voltage to the map and tps to see if the PCM is alive at all. Check that the distributor is plugged in (cam sensor, or switchplate as it's called).
Once again, replacing the switchplate and crank position sensors, should be OEM only either from the boneyard for the switchplate, or dealer or ebay for the CPS.
After that I would research how to check for signal to the coil to spark.
All assuming your coil wire, cap rotor wires are ok. How are you checking for spark?