Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

97 cherokee sport transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 12:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L V6
Default 97 cherokee sport transmission problem

Technical support required gentlemen …… I drive a 97’ Cherokee Sport with automatic tranny …… I use the car for desert driving on high dunes here in Dubai ……. I’ve also had a bigger ACDELCO oil cooler replace the small stock oil cooler to keep my tranny cool and happy …… but here’s the problem which I’ve been encountering a few days back …….

When the car is not moving and is in PARK ….. I shift it to D or 3 or 1-2 (either of the driving gears have the same power output) and the car feels that its trying to take off on either 3rd or 4th gear …….. I rev the throttle up to 3000 to 4000rpm then and only will it kick in to 1st gear (Violently kicks in to 1st gear with wheels screeching on tarmac) …… after it kicks in to 1st gear …. The car runs and shifts smoothly like normal may it be automatically or when you shift manually …… when you come to a standstill ….. the car will continue to run normal except when you stop and shift back to neutral ……..

You then again have to up the rev to get it to kick in to 1st but with less RPM …. Probably because the oil is hot by now ……

The TPS and TCU have both come out problem free after having it checked ….. the solenoids have been checked and work fine as well …..

I don’t want to open it up and change parts without getting different opinions from people who have had the same issues …..

Appreciate your help and inputs

thanks
Old 10-14-2012, 02:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Does it do it if you drive it manually with the TCU disconnected?
Old 10-14-2012, 06:57 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by strawb
Technical support required gentlemen …… I drive a 97’ Cherokee Sport with automatic tranny …… I use the car for desert driving on high dunes here in Dubai ……. I’ve also had a bigger ACDELCO oil cooler replace the small stock oil cooler to keep my tranny cool and happy …… but here’s the problem which I’ve been encountering a few days back …….

When the car is not moving and is in PARK ….. I shift it to D or 3 or 1-2 (either of the driving gears have the same power output) and the car feels that its trying to take off on either 3rd or 4th gear …….. I rev the throttle up to 3000 to 4000rpm then and only will it kick in to 1st gear (Violently kicks in to 1st gear with wheels screeching on tarmac) …… after it kicks in to 1st gear …. The car runs and shifts smoothly like normal may it be automatically or when you shift manually …… when you come to a standstill ….. the car will continue to run normal except when you stop and shift back to neutral ……..

You then again have to up the rev to get it to kick in to 1st but with less RPM …. Probably because the oil is hot by now ……

The TPS and TCU have both come out problem free after having it checked ….. the solenoids have been checked and work fine as well …..

I don’t want to open it up and change parts without getting different opinions from people who have had the same issues …..

Appreciate your help and inputs

thanks
when you PUT the bigger cooler did you add more ATF ? or check NSS

Last edited by weld3z; 10-14-2012 at 07:09 AM.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Radi
Does it do it if you drive it manually with the TCU disconnected?
yes it does. it shifts very good manually however .... you still have to rev the throttle up to 3000rpm for the tranny to kick into 1st from either neutral or park
Old 10-15-2012, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by weld3z
ATF levels are ok

what is NSS?
Old 10-15-2012, 11:58 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L, sump guard, snorkel, LPG system, red and yellow top Optima batteries.

Originally Posted by weld3z

^^^ this. Had the same problem. NSS was sticking until vibes from revving engine release it
Old 10-16-2012, 12:12 AM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0L, sump guard, snorkel, LPG system, red and yellow top Optima batteries.

Neutral safety switch
Old 10-16-2012, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Phat jeep
^^^ this. Had the same problem. NSS was sticking until vibes from revving engine release it
thats exactly how it feels ... it feels its sticking and thru higher RPM it gets released

How can i check the NSS? where is it located?

thanks
Old 10-16-2012, 08:47 AM
Seasoned Member

There are lots of write ups in the technical discussion part of this forum, step by step guides to removing and cleaning yours NSS. I just hope that is your problem and we're not sending you on a wild goose chase. Search this forum well, anything that can go wrong with an XJ has probably got a write up for repairs somewhere here.