Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

97 Cherokee Sport error codes

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 97 Cherokee Sport error codes

So I'll be the first to admit I'm not that great at mechanical repairs but I'm starting to get into it more now that I finally have a garage. I pulled some error codes off my jeep

P0505 idle control system
P0705 transmission range sensors
Switch circuit malfunction
Prndl input

Any info anyone can pass on to a noob in regards to repairing these issues would be greatly appreciated
Old 01-22-2011, 06:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Are there any "symptoms" that go along with these codes? Very important to understanding codes.

The P0505 is for the IDLE AIR CONTROL motor circuit. You could try "cleaning" the idle air control to see if that resolves it. If it doesn't, replacement would be wise.

The P0705 has to do with the NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH. You can also try "refurbishing" that piece of hardware as many have had good luck with doing so. Here is a link with great pics if you want to try it. A new NSS will cost you about $150 at Team Cherokee and quite a bit more from a dealer.

http://bc4x4.com/tech/2010/jeep-neut...ty-switch-nss/
Old 01-22-2011, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A couple symptoms the jeep for a while would idle at a very high rpm then drop and purr but kick right back up again. Another issue dunno if its related but it chokes and looses power when it's changing in the first couple gears but once it powers through it's fine. As for the neutral safety switch my buddy and I had a feeling that was the main cause of a couple issues Ie. No reverse lights, doesnt want to start every now and again, won't let me take my key outta the ignition. Just put a brand new alternator and starter in (alternator after it died outta town and a $450 tow later). Only problem was we couldn't find it lol but that link will definitely help thanks tj appreciate the info amigo
Old 01-22-2011, 11:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I would try cleaning the idle air control and the throttle body while you are at it. And also refurbish that NSS. Then see where you are at! Here is more about cleaning the IAC.

I'd also review tuneup hardware for that other symptom. Fresh champion copper plugs gapped to .035, new plug wires, distributor cap and rotor. Always money well spent.

If the key problem persists, you may end up replacing the key tumbler.

Good luck!

---------------------------------

The Idle Air Control (IAC) is mounted on the back of the throttle body. The valve controls the idle speed of the engine by controlling the amount of air flowing through the air control passage. It consists of a stepper motor that moves a pintle shaped plunger in and out of the air control passage. When the valve plunger is moved in, the air control passage flows more air which raises the idle speed. When the valve plunger is moved out, the air control passage flows less air which lowers the idle speed. Over time and miles, the IAC can get carboned up which can have an adverse affect on idle quality. Cleaning the IAC may restore proper function and is an easy procedure to perform and good preventive maintenance so it is never a bad idea.

CLEANING THE JEEP 4.0 IDLE AIR CONTROL

Remove the air filter cover, associated hoses and the rubber boot that goes from the air filter cover to the throttle body. Remove the IAC with a torx driver (2 bolts; one can be kind of hard to get to)

“Gently” wiggle out the IAC from the throttle body. Gasket on the IAC can be re-used if it is not damaged

Clean the IAC with a spray can of throttle body cleaner; inexpensive and available at any place that sells auto parts. Throttle body cleaner is recommended rather than carburetor cleaner as it is less harsh, safe for throttle body coatings and is best for this task. Use cleaner, a rag and a toothbrush and or Q-Tips. Be gentle; don’t twist or pull on the pintle that protrudes from the IAC as it is fragile and you could damage it.

Thoroughly spray clean and flush where the IAC seats in the throttle body with the same spray cleaner

It is also a good idea to clean the entire throttle body itself, the butterfly valve inside of the throttle body and all associated linkage as long as you have things disassembled

Reinstall IAC and check idle quality

Last edited by tjwalker; 01-22-2011 at 11:25 AM.